Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRC Wiki?
(04-29-2021, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: I stumbled upon a post this morning from a UW grad student looking for information on all high rises built along the LRT line after 2010. Someone suggested they check here. I got to thinking, while this forum is a great resource as it is and provides a wonderful space for discussion, due to the forum format finding specific information about projects, infrastructure or the region itself it can be tricky to find information if you've got a thread with dozens or even hundreds of pages.

So I started thinking, would it be possible to put an install of MediaWiki on here that could allow us to provide up to date information on everything in the city from transit, buildings, parks, politics, recreation facilities and so on? All you really need is the MediaWiki software, PHP, some form of SQL database (not sure which versions) and an image thumbnailing plugin. It could allow for a nice way to disseminate information, provide photographs, citations and all sorts of detailed information on things here. It would make updating information on projects as it changes very straightforward. Perhaps it would need to be moderated for accuracy, but that would be easy enough.

Well, if Spokes is onboard, I would be more then happy to help get this off the ground. (maybe a wiki.waterlooregionconnected.com site?). It's been a while, but I have set up that software once before.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
WRC Wiki? - by ac3r - 04-29-2021, 12:45 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by kalis0490 - 04-29-2021, 12:53 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by bgb_ca - 04-29-2021, 01:40 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by Spokes - 05-04-2021, 06:39 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by bgb_ca - 05-04-2021, 07:30 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by Spokes - 04-30-2021, 01:38 AM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by ac3r - 04-30-2021, 08:30 AM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by nms - 05-02-2021, 03:55 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by tomh009 - 05-02-2021, 10:28 PM
RE: WRC Wiki? - by kalis0490 - 05-02-2021, 09:11 PM