Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)avernar Wrote: User interfaces are like jokes.  If you have to explain it, it's not a good one.

Tongue  Tongue  Tongue

Although still only true in interfaces that work best if they are super simple. In many cases, experts can be more productive if they take time to learn an interface that is designed for experts. But I do accept that this discussion is about tap-to-pay machines, so it needs to be obvious to the general public.

Edit: unfortunately too many interfaces are jokes.

(09-03-2019, 02:31 PM)avernar Wrote: Hmmmm.  Let's pick the easy one and do option 2.  Did that at a parking garage entrance once.  It would read the card 3-4 feet away.  You didn't even have to roll down your window.

At some point, it becomes excessive, and is its own, worse, UI problem. I’d rather “sometimes I’m confused as to whether my card has been read” than “sometimes I’m confused why I’ve paid for the fares of half the passengers in the station”. For a parking garage entrance it might be OK, since all it’s doing is opening the door (I assume). For anything that is even remotely ATM like, in that it can cost the card’s owner money, it’s not OK. But if it’s the difference between “card pretty much needs to touch terminal” and “card just needs to be within 10cm of terminal”, your Option 2 is probably best.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM