Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I am terrified that one day Bacon and Eggs might escape and run onto the tracks. Better build an enclosed tunnel to protect them.

Seriously, I got so much flack for suggesting monorail on the basis of "destroyed view", "unfavourable visual intrusion", etc. But somehow a 6' chainlink fence and mess of overhead catenary is ok?

No one has been able yet to say WHY it is ok in other parts of the line, or on other systems in Canada, why it can operate unprotected. The only logical suggestion I've read so far is that CN wants to upgrade this stretch. But even that is kind of bunk because there aren't fences along most railways anyway. You use common sense. Please don't kid yourself that nobody will get hit. It's a matter of when, not if. Again, not to shed doom and gloom, but it's a fact that with LRT systems that are not grade separated (read: elevated or underground), you have collisions and fatalities. I don't wish it on anyone, but just search for "LRT Crash" on YouTube or Google and watch what comes up. It comes with the technology choice, I'm afraid. One that would have been avoided with VAL/ICTS/Monorail/Etc.

Absolutely agreed on dense hedge - again, this is used elsewhere successfully.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 04-17-2015, 12:48 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM