Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed
(06-14-2018, 12:02 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Tom, one option to support cyclists in inclement weather might be bus tickets (or a fare card that the corporation replenishes, once they're widely available). I worked at one very flexible employer who bent over backwards once I gave up my parking pass. They bought me monthly bus passes in the winter (which were somewhere around 60% the cost of parking in their area) and  would let me expense tickets for the months I rode more than not.

It would be great if such stipends for active transportation weren't considered taxable benefits. Everywhere I've worked that has to report parking as a line item for individuals, the people have complained about it being a taxable benefit. Making alternatives more appealing through reduced taxation may be an incentive for some to switch.

Those are good ideas. Ideally there would be a solution that would cover all modes that don't require parking: bicycling, walking, transit, carpooling etc. And one that would be readily accepted/implemented by corporate HR departments.

As for making parking more expensive for employees, that's a disincentive for many people to work at the company, so I don't think many companies would move in that direction.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed - by Tony_Plow - 06-11-2018, 10:44 AM
RE: 185 King St. S., Waterloo (Corner of King and Allen) - by tomh009 - 06-14-2018, 06:40 PM
RE: 185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed - by Acitta - 07-11-2022, 03:31 PM
RE: 185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed - by Spokes - 07-12-2022, 05:36 PM
RE: 185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed - by CP42 - 07-18-2022, 11:50 AM
RE: 185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed - by CP42 - 10-05-2022, 06:48 PM
RE: 185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed - by Spokes - 10-06-2022, 10:57 AM