Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc)
(12-19-2016, 07:48 AM)Canard Wrote: And round and round we go. As others explained many times, it's hardly a "free ride" for motorists. Cars, and all the things that they come (insurance, fuel, etc.) with are expensive.

I really shake my head sometimes and wonder what kind of world a few of you grew up in that you think there should be no cars.

Lets just be clear, the cost of something doesn't entitle anyone to better benefits. Cars are costly because they, as a vehicle, are designed to be costly. Some is out of necessity (you want a vehicle able to top out over 200kph, that can be a killer missile at fractions of that speed, yeah it will need some safety elements, and yes you will need to pay for insurance), some is your choice (I know many people who buy pickups that are used to ferry more than 2 people around maybe once every five years, rather than rent a pickup for those days and save tens of thousands, let alone when we want bluetooth connectivity or leather seats or better mileage), but in no way does that entitle anyone to a better version of a road. The $50 bike I pick up at a police auction gets me the ability to cycle on the same trails that someone investing four or five figures in a finely tuned bike gets. All taxes on every stage of cars or bikes (or anything) are taxes on general commercial activity, not an entitlement to better versions of a road or anything else (the gas tax being the one exception, though after having been frozen for a quarter century, certainly less so every year).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by Viewfromthe42 - 12-19-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Urban parks - by danbrotherston - 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by creative - 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Urban parks - by SammyOES - 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM