Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner)
(07-05-2016, 10:25 AM)timc Wrote: I think it depends on how you measure the difference. If walking speed is 5 km/h, then a cycling speed of 15 km/h is roughly triple the speed. 50 km/h is also roughly triple the cycling speed.

That being said, my average cycling speed is 25-30 km/h (of course slower when climbing, and faster on downhills), so, in absolute terms for me, the difference between walking and cycling is roughly the same as the difference between cycling and driving. I would not want to use an MUT at that speed. Some roads are also dangerous at that speed (holes, cracks, debris, etc.) and I need to adjust accordingly.

For reaction time what matters is absolute difference in speed.

For injuries what matters is a combination of speed and the mass of the object propelling you. For some reason people in North America are really concerned about pedestrian/cyclist collisions as if they could be lethal (they rarely are) and completely ok with car/cyclist collisions which are far more often lethal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner) - by BuildingScout - 07-05-2016, 10:51 AM