Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner)
The question of whether MUTs are preferable or not aside, there's a few details from planning that I remember from reviewing it on ATAC a couple of years ago.

On Ottawa, the MUTs won't be continuous. They are meant to provide park/trail connections, and there are areas where this was viewed as being important... in particular, the trailhead at the eastern edge of Stanley Park over to just past Franklin where the Dom Cardillo trail system is. I also recall a portion of Ottawa deemed impractical to continue the MUT because of the cost of moving hydro.

(Disclaimer: matching map details to fuzzy memory, some lossiness expected, and sometimes plans change too.)

Now, as for MUTs vs. painted bike lanes: well, as always context matters. But in general, if given the choice between a MUT and an on-road, unbuffered bike lane, I would pick the MUT. I want to see our region put bike infrastructure in place for 8 to 80 year olds, and even though intersection handling for MUTs currently sucks, I expect legislation to eventually catch up.

So what kind of context would change my mind?
  • High pedestrian volumes suggest pedestrian/cycling separation
  • High cycling corridor volumes suggest a directional separation of bike traffic
  • Connecting bike lane infrastructure could make MUT to bike lane transition a problem
Low-volume ped/cycling areas like alongside region arterials are a great place to apply MUTs. If there's room and opportunity for bike lanes I wouldn't object to them, because the road cyclists who travel at higher speed will appreciate them. But it's important to not let their needs get in the way of an accessible bike network.

These days I place a lot of hope and emphasis on separated bike lanes. They seem to provide most of the strengths of MUTs and painted bike lanes, with fewer of the weaknesses, but they have their own challenges too (such as snow clearing.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner) - by zanate - 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM