Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner)
Several MUTs these days have been paved using concrete, which in many cases makes them indistinguishable from sidewalks, the only way to know is literally to read the construction contract. The city could fix it with signage but hasn't yet done so.

That being said, the reason for building MUTs and cycle lanes, in my mind, is the poor design of MUTs. Proper segregated cycle lane with good intersection design, and separated from pedestrians works just fine for racing cyclists. I experienced this personally in the Netherlands, there really is no issue with racing cyclists on the cyclepaths. However, our trails do not function that way. This means to accommodate both casual cyclists and racing cyclists both are really needed. And even then, the experience for casual cyclists is really quite compromised (no legal safety at intersections, slower cycling time, many dismounts to push ped beg buttons, very bumpy because of curbs, etc.).

But I will give the region credit for building both, it makes a decent effort to provide for all types of cyclists, given the current limitations.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner) - by danbrotherston - 07-03-2016, 06:16 PM