Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 Borden Ave S | 51, 57 fl | Proposed
They're okay. They're a fairly small local firm, which is probably why Vive went with them as they are really into working for and with the residents of this region.

Their biggest project in the region was the Glove Box - both the preservation of the original factory building and the 6 floor office building (so NOT the ugly towers that ABA Architects did behind the office). They also did the YW Transitional/Supportive Housing project in Waterloo which is mostly built out of wood. They've also done some residential stuff, namely modular homes, with a couple that have gone up locally. The earliest projects were mostly medical offices...extremely generic medical offices. In addition, they've got a strong portfolio of designs completed, but which have not been constructed yet.

They have some talent working for them but the firm itself has basically no experience designing skyscrapers so I guess we'd have to see how well it is in reality. If this was a design I was doing or leading it, I would have made the towers themselves more visually interesting because it's not a hard thing to achieve. Page 3 and 4 of the site plan document has many examples of other buildings that they used as inspiration/comparison but they didn't use any of it on the towers, just the podium.

We'll have to see how it evolves, I guess. Edge really like wood and glass and much of this project will use that from what I've been told. But yeah...I usually hate when a skyscraper is just 40 to 60+ floors of the exact same thing so I kind of wish they played with the geometry of the tower some more so it isn't just two giant pillars with each floor looking the exact same. That could change, though, depending on what Vive wishes to do.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 50 Borden Ave S | 51, 57 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 05-12-2023, 07:32 PM