Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-16-2022, 05:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-16-2022, 05:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: GRT has posted another video of ION collision close calls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1UvkarrTNU&t=50s&ab_channel=GrandRiverTransit

You know, they put it to fun music, but this just makes me mad. Having been thrown off my feet by an emergency brake action, these represent potential an actual injuries, caused by drivers paying so little attention they missed the 60 foot long LRV next to them.

These drivers kill people, and then complain they appear out of nowhere, and our politicians pander to these idiots. I wish people would treat this with the seriousness it deserves.

Yeah, I’m not sure they should be so quick to apply the emergency brake. Ideally, the emergency brake would be applied only if injuries on board the LRT are less likely with it than without. Of course, turning this into training is another matter, given that they probably have less than 1s to decide what to do in a typical scenario.

I mean, I have zero qualms about prioritising not injuring LRV passengers at the cost of maybe injuring vehicle drivers....and I say that fully acknowledging I am more often an LRV passenger.

But there's more than just potential driver injuries at stake, leaving aside passengers...hitting a vehicle could send it into pedestrians nearby--maybe even waiting transit riders, to say nothing of the hours of delays that will ensue for every transit rider when a crash does occur (which ONLY affects transit riders, not drivers of course).

What I think should happen is that every driver who does this gets ticketed. Leaving aside a more serious (as in, not a joke, the way our licensing currently is) enforcement scheme, they could probably ticket 2-3 dangerous drivers a day, at that rate, we'd have a real enforcement mechanism on our hands...

Instead, we ignore this problem and put out goofy videos like this and pointless educational campaigns...meanwhile we spend a fortune to heavily police the passengers on the train on the fear that someone might get away with stealing 3.25 (and stealing it from someone OTHER than the parking enterprise).

Man...I get angry thinking about this bullshit...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 09-16-2022, 06:34 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM