Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
(05-16-2018, 11:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Lot 42 on Ardelt is going to be a new Oktoberfest festhalle this year.   Capacity 5,000.  It will also host the Miss Oktoberfest Ball.

http://www.570news.com/2018/05/16/k-w-ok...niversary/

The idea of a bridge (or tunnel) connecting Lot 42 and the Concordia Club is intriguing.  

From an article in the Record:
Quote:"If they let us build a nice Oktoberfest bridge over the highway, that would be even better," Doyle said.

And if Oktoberfest pays for the bridge it would be even better.   

(Move over Ezra Street.  Something bigger is about to happen in Kitchener.)

Fab idea if Oktoberfest can come up with 15 or 20 million to pay for it ....

Never stopped to think of it before, but the Mill Station is only a block or so from the Concordia Club - handy, if they get around to installing sidewalks on that side of Ottawa St!
I hear there's a convenient underpass nearby.
I'd have to question the "convenient".
(05-17-2018, 09:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'd have to question the "convenient".

Are we talking about the Ottawa St. underpass, or the 2 railway underpasses Tongue Dodgy ?
Of the two, the rail underpasses would be more "convenient", if that's measured solely in walking distance.
The keg-tapping, traditionally at Kitchener City Hall, will be moved east on King to Wilkommen Platz at Frederick street staring this year. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5297981

Interesting move.

"Tim Beckett, president of K-W Oktoberfest, said the change is a response to "those who want to see more activity in the downtown core."

I'm not sure I see how this location achieves that though
(09-26-2019, 07:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: Interesting move. 

"Tim Beckett, president of K-W Oktoberfest, said the change is a response to "those who want to see more activity in the downtown core."

I'm not sure I see how this location achieves that though

So City Hall is not in the DTK core? Everything I've ever known is a lie.
Hahah good point.

I can't think of a more DTK central point than Carl Zehr Square
Maybe this allows them to have the keg tap and leave the square open for stalls and festivities.
This site will be active for two days - Friday and Saturday. When it was at the square did it run that long? I only ever went for the keg tapping ceremony itself so I don't know when it was all torn down.
Also a factor is that Civic Square will be closed for construction next year, so they'd need an alternate venue eventually anyway.

(09-27-2019, 09:01 AM)Chris Wrote: So City Hall is not in the DTK core? Everything I've ever known is a lie.

Was city hall not once on Frederick (just up from this site)?  Either way, it's not a bad idea to try and "stretch" out the core in that direction
(09-27-2019, 12:51 PM)KevinL Wrote: Also a factor is that Civic Square will be closed for construction next year, so they'd need an alternate venue eventually anyway.

And I think this is the real reason.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »