Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(02-12-2019, 05:50 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Feels a bit like all the grand visions of Victoria getting the treatment we expected of Hespeler, to eventually move away from cars-only, and eventually densify and become more welcoming, are still a long, long ways off, if townhomes is what we envision for this main street.

That's kind of where I'm at.  Not what I envisioned for a "mixed use corridor"

The intensification is good, just not within what I envisioned.

Really loving how the new LCBO fits in with the existing King Street buildings.  They're making good progress (sorry no pictures)
(02-09-2019, 08:21 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 12:25 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed the old cornerstore/house on the corner of Joseph and Water was undergoing some extensive renovations today, entire walls torn down. Maybe we'll finally see something opened up here?

Managed to get a pic the other day

No big changes externally, but new windows certainly make it look much better.

Big improvement.
It would have been nicer yet if they had re-clad the one-storey addition in red brick, rather than the modern faux stone.
(02-26-2019, 12:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It would have been nicer yet if they had re-clad the one-storey addition in red brick, rather than the modern faux stone.

That hasn't been re-clad recently.  That is how the addition was done back in the day for the store.  I believe that is actual stone.  They didn't make faux stone back then..
(02-26-2019, 01:17 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 12:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It would have been nicer yet if they had re-clad the one-storey addition in red brick, rather than the modern faux stone.

That hasn't been re-clad recently.  That is how the addition was done back in the day for the store.  I believe that is actual stone.  They didn't make faux stone back then..

I realize it's not a new re-clad -- but it would look nice if it were to be re-clad in red brick. Even if the current cladding is actual stone!

(02-26-2019, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 01:17 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That hasn't been re-clad recently.  That is how the addition was done back in the day for the store.  I believe that is actual stone.  They didn't make faux stone back then..

I realize it's not a new re-clad -- but it would look nice if it were to be re-clad in red brick. Even if the current cladding is actual stone!

I am sure if they had tried that, the heritage committee would have gotten involved and the legal costs would have been astronomical. Just leave it alone and nothing happens.
(02-28-2019, 09:32 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I realize it's not a new re-clad -- but it would look nice if it were to be re-clad in red brick. Even if the current cladding is actual stone!

I am sure if they had tried that, the heritage committee would have gotten involved and the legal costs would have been astronomical. Just leave it alone and nothing happens.

Nice house you got there. It would be a shame if nothing happened to it.
Nice progress shot from Kitchener Post

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...kitchener/
(02-28-2019, 09:32 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I realize it's not a new re-clad -- but it would look nice if it were to be re-clad in red brick. Even if the current cladding is actual stone!

Very nice, but I dont like the gap or alley between buildings...
I wonder if vehicular access to the rear of the building was something the LCBO demanded

That Post photo describes Downtown residents as 'yuppies and techies'. Uh huh...
Ya I was surprised they got away with that. Journalism 101, how to write bias-free
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »