Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
165 King St W | 3 fl | Completed
(12-14-2018, 11:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wow, crazy growth for them!  Cool to see an American start up setting up shop here rather than the other way around.

I wonder if the other part of the first floor will be retail?

Wasn't it originally suggested that there would be two restaurants on the street level?   Never struck me as a particularly good idea.

(12-14-2018, 11:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wow, crazy growth for them!  Cool to see an American start up setting up shop here rather than the other way around.

Faire has a US HQ, but it was founded by Waterloo alumni, and was a part of Velocity. So it's pretty Canadian too.
Oh that makes a lot more sense. Thanks
The exterior is making good progress at the moment, it looks like most of the brick is on now. Note that this is white brick, but I believe both 2nd and 3rd floors will be new white brick, replacing the original bricks on the 2nd floor. (I thought those would be rather difficult to secure for the additional floor, and it appears that was indeed the case.)

No photo possible as the protective sheets are still in front of the building.
The scaffolding came down (this picture was taken yesterday during my lunch break).

Looks good! Close enough to, even if not identical, to the original brick façade.
The extra size fits in perfectly

Stone lintels above the third floor's windows might have been a nice added detail.
(01-17-2019, 06:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Stone lintels above the third floor's windows might have been a nice added detail.

Yes. Would have been nice, but it's quite good anyway.
I nominate this for two awards:
1)  Most beautiful facade
2)  Slowest development
I'm going to hold off on voting for #1 until I see how the ground floor facade finishes up.

I'll second your nomination for #2
Sorry if I missed it, and without going through the whole thread, do we know who/what will be in this building after it is done? Office? A resto/bar?
Faire (tech scaleup) will be going in the top two floors, and there's an arcade/bar going in as well - I think it's going into the basement. The ground floor expectation is one or two restaurants according to some comments up thread.

Is the basement accessible from Gaukel? Or is that the Pizza Pizza building?
Not accesible from Gaukel, but the back of the building gives out to Hall's Lane. I'm hoping that's going to be the arcade's entrance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »