Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Waterloo Hospice
(04-20-2017, 11:30 PM)nms Wrote: I would expect that given that the average hospice stay is 10 days, that there won't be much time for a resident to be upset by the noise.

Um, the point of a hospice is to provide a peaceful place to be for those 10 days.

I don’t know whether the noise will be upsetting or not, but referring to the short duration of patients’ stay in the hospice as a reason why it doesn’t matter seems unreasonable to me.

And it's not unheard of for patients to spend several weeks in hospice.
I am aware of the varying length of stay at a hospice and I didn't intend offence. My suspicion with the Luther Village complaints is that there are likely only a few that complain but whom have lived there a while. The generally shorter hospice stay could go either way: high turnover means that there isn't one chronic complainer; high turnover means repeated need to educate new residents about the fields.
The point about Luther village is that Luther Village was built long after the bandshell/general Waterloo Park activities were happening, but after opening up in these known conditions, they complained and had them shut down, much like how someone moves under a flight path or planned/predictable one and then wants to stop it, or is happy to be the latest person to move near a downtown core, only to then oppose others having the ability to also do so.
Grading started a few weeks back and a construction sign was being erected this week at the entrance from University Ave.
Thanks for the updates OntMtbr, and welcome to WRConnected!
Can see the poured elevator shafts and other concrete foundation has been completed.

(08-24-2019, 08:08 AM)Watdot Wrote: Can see the poured elevator shafts and other concrete foundation has been completed.

How large is this Hospice?

Anyway, nice we're getting another one, though likely it still won't be enough beds for our region. Letting people die with peace and dignity should be the only way, in a civilized world. For those that need more care, dying at home doesn't work, and dying in a noise, sterile, busy hospital isn't the same.
(04-20-2017, 11:30 PM)nms Wrote: I would expect that given that the average hospice stay is 10 days, that there won't be much time for a resident to be upset by the noise.

(08-24-2019, 12:34 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 08:08 AM)Watdot Wrote: Can see the poured elevator shafts and other concrete foundation has been completed.

How large is this Hospice?

Anyway, nice we're getting another one, though likely it still won't be enough beds for our region. Letting people die with peace and dignity should be the only way, in a civilized world. For those that need more care, dying at home doesn't work, and dying in a noise, sterile, busy hospital isn't the same.

10 beds.
Didn't see any renders posted yet

[Image: MbghvRx.jpg]

[Image: Knd0O1t.jpg]

[Image: 10tAloP.jpg]

Theyve got some timelapses of construction from last summer on their youtube page but I think they might have some out of order.
(05-21-2020, 12:37 PM)Nextasy Wrote: Didn't see any renders posted yet

[Image: MbghvRx.jpg]

So that's where we go to get to Asgard. Good to know.
Looks like this project is nearing completion.

March 6, 2021

Was inside the other day for a mask donation. Lots of work still going on here. The front is done but other parts definitely still are under construction

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »