Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Share in Waterloo Region
Simple: at every LRT stop!

(02-08-2019, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Simple: at every LRT stop!

That would be good but not sufficient: while the LRT stops would be likely destinations, they won't usually be the origin of the jouney (or vice versa). But near most of the stops should be a no-brainer.
(02-08-2019, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Simple: at every LRT stop!

Definitely a logical STARTING spot.
Yes. I didn’t mean ONLY at every LRT stop, I just meant that would be a logical first spot to mark on a map. Obviously they should be other places.

Isn’t DropBike supposed to be dockless though? Admittedly I’ve long forgotten about what their plan is.
Even dockless share uses gathering points where bikes are corralled after charging/repair. Dropbike calls these 'havens'.
SOME dockless systems do that, others allow you to park them anywhere.
DropBike pilot launching on Monday: https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...cambridge/

(05-08-2019, 08:42 AM)goggolor Wrote: DropBike pilot launching on Monday: https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...cambridge/

There's a rather comical error in the article where the author doesn't know what a "single-tier municipality" is.
(05-08-2019, 08:54 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:42 AM)goggolor Wrote: DropBike pilot launching on Monday: https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...cambridge/

There's a rather comical error in the article where the author doesn't know what a "single-tier municipality" is.

The program is described as “a joint initiative between the Region of Waterloo and the three single-tier municipalities”. So the Region of Waterloo is co-operating with Ottawa, Toronto, and Hamilton? Cool!

No wonder politics is so screwed up…
More likely Guelph, Brantford, and Hamilton.
Bikes are arriving!!!

Where are the stations (er..."havens"?) located? I can't seem to find a map anywhere, save for the Engage map of all of the recommended spots.
(05-10-2019, 07:48 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Where are the stations (er..."havens"?) located? I can't seem to find a map anywhere, save for the Engage map of all of the recommended spots.

I have also not seen such a map.  I don't think it's been released yet, I am hoping to see it today.

So Dropbike has launched, though a bit quietly; perhaps because there's not a huge number of bikes available yet. Their hub areas, called 'havens', are also sparse just now; the ones I could find are the Kitchener Market, Queen Ion, and Waterloo city hall. Presumably more are to come.

There's also a defined usage boundary, but that's quite generous; it includes most of central Kitchener and Waterloo from just shy of the Parkway, up to Northfield.
(05-14-2019, 06:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: So Dropbike has launched, though a bit quietly; perhaps because there's not a huge number of bikes available yet. Their hub areas, called 'havens', are also sparse just now; the ones I could find are the Kitchener Market, Queen Ion, and Waterloo city hall. Presumably more are to come.

There's also a defined usage boundary, but that's quite generous; it includes most of central Kitchener and Waterloo from just shy of the Parkway, up to Northfield.

I actually found their boundary extremely restrictive. It doesn't even include all their havens--the one at the Aud is outside it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »