Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
345 King St W | 6 fl | Complete
New office building a testament to Kitchener's downtown revitalization

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...alization/

Where are things at with this project?
(10-25-2018, 10:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Where are things at with this project?

Excavation done (2 underground levels) and starting the foundations. Too lazy to post a pic, I will when its a bit more advanced.
Completion expected in late 2020.
(10-25-2018, 11:47 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Completion expected in late 2020.

Seems like a long time out for a building of it's size; 6 stories.

Undecided

Nonetheless, will be a great addition to downtown Kitchener.

Notice how the vast majority of major development is on the side of downtown from Ontario towards Waterloo (I'm going that far to also include Young) - DTK Condos being the one off exception it seems?
(10-26-2018, 03:09 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Notice how the vast majority of major development is on the side of downtown from Ontario towards Waterloo (I'm going that far to also include Young) - DTK Condos being the one off exception it seems?

Could be a combinations of reasons, though these are some, IMHO:

1) Closer to soon to be transit hub
2) Closer to the University (King and Victoria)
3) Area a little more cleaned-up than east end
4) Less opportunities for the historical society to object to tearing down an ugly building

You also have Drewlo building the apartment across from Cameron Heights, so you have that. I think there are a couple other developments upstream, again, though, depends on NIMBY's and anything to do with "historical" nature of some builds that would need to be torn down.

I am hoping that once the Ontario thru to Union is all built up, they'll concentrate on Ontario to Ottawa. I'd imagine there will be large plans for Borden Station, where the old Canadian Tire once was. There will also be some work to be done at Mill/Ottawa Station.
(10-26-2018, 04:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: Could be a combinations of reasons, though these are some, IMHO:

1) Closer to soon to be transit hub
2) Closer to the University (King and Victoria)
3) Area a little more cleaned-up than east end
4) Less opportunities for the historical society to object to tearing down an ugly building

You also have Drewlo building the apartment across from Cameron Heights, so you have that. I think there are a couple other developments upstream, again, though, depends on NIMBY's and anything to do with "historical" nature of some builds that would need to be torn down.

I am hoping that once the Ontario thru to Union is all built up, they'll concentrate on Ontario to Ottawa.  I'd imagine there will be large plans for Borden Station, where the old Canadian Tire once was. There will also be some work to be done at Mill/Ottawa Station.

I think this will happen eventually, and I am excited to see it happen eventually...but it will take a long while. I would hope there will be significant development in the east end before then.

(10-26-2018, 04:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: You also have Drewlo building the apartment across from Cameron Heights, so you have that. I think there are a couple other developments upstream, again, though, depends on NIMBY's and anything to do with "historical" nature of some builds that would need to be torn down.

I am hoping that once the Ontario thru to Union is all built up, they'll concentrate on Ontario to Ottawa.  I'd imagine there will be large plans for Borden Station, where the old Canadian Tire once was. There will also be some work to be done at Mill/Ottawa Station.

There is also (the proposal for) the American Block, and (the proposal for) the residential tower/supermarket across Cedar St from Drewlo.

There are a number of additional properties near Drewlo that are ripe for development, before the Stirling-Ottawa section really takes off.
Anyone know what they're building this out of? Concrete? Steel?
(10-26-2018, 06:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 04:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: You also have Drewlo building the apartment across from Cameron Heights, so you have that. I think there are a couple other developments upstream, again, though, depends on NIMBY's and anything to do with "historical" nature of some builds that would need to be torn down.

There is also (the proposal for) the American Block, and (the proposal for) the residential tower/supermarket across Cedar St from Drewlo.

There are a number of additional properties near Drewlo that are ripe for development, before the Stirling-Ottawa section really takes off.

Has there been any indication of when the renovation work will get underway?
But the rest of the structure, it's not super tall so steel is an option.

I think.
This height you could even build using a wood structure. I expect to see a steel frame with concrete floors, but I haven't seen any drawings yet so this is only a guess at this point.
Six storeys is the limit for wood right?

(10-30-2018, 09:51 AM)Spokes Wrote: Six storeys is the limit for wood right?

Not quite. But more engineering work is required for wood buildings taller than six storeys.
https://files.ontario.ca/ontarios_tall_w...erence.pdf
As to progress, they are still excavating.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »