Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
Progress on the George St homes:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I'm very interested to see what the finished product for these looks like. The same developer built our infill home, so i'd expect a high standard of finishes in these.
Amazing to think of housing like this being built so close to the core, although it does respect the existing neighbourhood.
(01-23-2018, 11:58 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: I'm very interested to see what the finished product for these looks like. The same developer built our infill home, so i'd expect a high standard of finishes in these.

Who is the developer?
(01-23-2018, 04:04 PM)dubya Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 11:58 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: I'm very interested to see what the finished product for these looks like. The same developer built our infill home, so i'd expect a high standard of finishes in these.

Who is the developer?

Copper Bay Homes.

The same person is involved with the former Schreiter's building and other developments downtown through his Vanguard Developments company.
(01-23-2018, 01:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Amazing to think of housing like this being built so close to the core, although it does respect the existing neighbourhood.

By neighbourhood I'm guessing you mean overall feel, or what is called "form". Though building a giant mansion here would have changed this form / feel, scale doesn't mean a development like this is preserving the neighbourhood either.

The garage frontages are the most obvious affront (figure the pun) to the form as few, if any houses in this area will have a built in garage at the front of the house. Inherently, old neighbourhoods like this were built prior to household car ownership. Many residents of the neighbourhood have since added a garage but these are almost universally found behind the home. By placing something as prominent as a garage front and centre, these homes deviate from the neighbourhood form, recalling instead homes of a more modern era.

New types of architecture like this aren't necessarily bad for the street and neither are new forms. In this case, these homes are actually not preserving the neighbourhood though they may yet enhance architectural value through high quality / modern finishes. The black window frames are an encouraging sign...

Take neodevelopments.ca/our-work/ as a good example of a local developer that is changing neighbourhoods architecturally through modern finishes and larger windows but actually doing a better job than this developer of preserving form.
I was more on the lines of "amazing that they're building SFHs on a site like that rather than a mid-rise apartment". My preference would be for the mid-rise, hence my finding it "amazing".

Can anyone enlighten me to the history and current use of the building at 45 John St W in Waterloo?

I've noticed a lot of large nondescript delivery trucks there in the mornings lately.

I always thought that something like the Berlin Bicycle Cafe would do well here.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(01-25-2018, 11:52 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Can anyone enlighten me to the history and current use of the building at 45 John St W in Waterloo?

I've noticed a lot of large nondescript delivery trucks there in the mornings lately.

I always thought that something like the Berlin Bicycle Cafe would do well here.

Let’s just say that it would probably be easier for you in the end not to ask too many questions Tongue

Seriously, I have no idea but I like the idea of having a bicycle-related business operating almost directly on the trail. Eventually, I imagine proximity to trails being just as important to some businesses as proximity to major vehicular routes.
I saw a funeral truck outside 45 John St once so I've always wondered if it was a crematorium, although not sure if the chimney is big enough for that... A Google search found this document from the City of Waterloo which suggests it is owned by Erb & Good Funeral Home: http://www.waterloo.ca/uploads/97/doc_63...661501.pdf
An off-site mortuary?
Given the lack of any kind of visible HVAC system, it is likely just a garage to store their fleet of hearses and other cars.

The only crematorium in Waterloo is the one at Parkview Cemetary. These is one at Kitchener's Williamsburg cemetary. There is also at least one private crematorium in Kitchener.
(01-29-2018, 01:55 PM)nms Wrote: Given the lack of any kind of visible HVAC system, it is likely just a garage to store their fleet of hearses and other cars.

The only crematorium in Waterloo is the one at Parkview Cemetary.  These is one at Kitchener's Williamsburg cemetary.  There is also at least one private crematorium in Kitchener.

Really?  Where is it located?

Oops. It didn’t ring a bell with me. I guess everything from LesPio’s post at #494 should be moved over there.
Done!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »