Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(04-25-2019, 06:16 AM)Spokes Wrote: What say does Cambridge city council have?  I thought it was all regional

Legally, yes it's all regional. In practice, the Region cares what Cambridge city council thinks. If the Region builds a route over Cambridge's objection the Cambridge regional councillors probably aren't getting re-elected. This was Cambridge city council giving the go ahead to the region.

Cambridge could also have leverage if any part of the route passes over parts of their property. Kitchener and Waterloo found this out when the LRT route needed land around the Grand River Hospital land. The KW Hospital site is jointly owned by the two cities.
Blog post about Preston:

https://cbridge.ca/preston-lrt-stop-a-po...community/
(05-12-2019, 04:16 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: //cbridge.ca/preston-lrt-stop-a-po...community/

Based on the shortened version of the link I almost never clicked on it, thinking it was another STOP PRESTON LRT as opposed to a PRESTON LRT STOP .... Glad I clicked in the end.

Coke
Regional council has approved the preferred route for Stage 2, and it will now go on to preliminary design with the goal of applying for funding next year.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/939...-endorsed/
And here we are again two days later with yet another article highlighting opposition from a handful of angry Preston residents. This lady doesn't even live in an area impacted by the route anymore.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/939...-its-foes/
(05-30-2019, 02:04 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: And here we are again two days later with yet another article highlighting opposition from a handful of angry Preston residents. This lady doesn't even live in an area impacted by the route anymore.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/939...-its-foes/

Wow, that's a RIDICULOUS article!!! I don't usually comment about the negative reporting about ION, but this has to be the most ludicrous yet.
Despite the negative spin in the article, it could also have been written with a positive view:
  • The property was sold to a young family buying their first home.
  • The purchaser of the property was aware of the proximity to a new LRT stop and "didn't have a problem";
  • The LRT was only a small factor in the decision to move. "It was not a driving factor. There were many other factors in our life that were kind of pushing the move."
  • "If the [LRT] is in place and doing wonderful things, then possibly I would have gotten more, who knows" (Indicating the LRT will likely increase property value)
  • Recognizes that the property is in the flood plan, has been flooded before, and will likely happen again.
  • The family has moved to a new home in the Preston Heights neighbourhood, backing onto the Grand River.

Sounds like a win, win, win, ...

Given what other cities have gotten and the current government, what are the chances this gets funded
Depending on what happens federally, I wouldn't be shocked if the province pledges funding for this in late 2021/early 2022. Cambridge and Kitchener-Conestoga are potential swing ridings.
Anyone know what is next here? What would be a realistic timeline?
Funding approved 2022, construction begins a few years later, service in maybe 2030? Somehow that seems overly optimistic though.
ugh. That is so far away. I was reading this article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5178612

And ht idea of trains from Delta Station would be pretty nice! but 11 years away still? Stage 2 should include St. Jacobs at this rate.
Probably more like construction in 2025 for a 2030 launch.

Ion Phase One will have taken about five years from construction to opening.

Edit: Sorry for mis-reading your post, Bob. Your timeline seems spot on to me.

By the time funding is given, how much will the route have changed?
I could see it changing a little bit. What they've planned so far has surely been considered the best possible route after going through a lot of people/consultations. But like anything, it'll have some flexibility.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »