Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The Gaslight District | completed
Going by the discussions in the Facebook group, I don't think half of them even live here. They're always talking about how much the place has changed since they left years or decades ago.

(11-19-2016, 05:48 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: A lot of people are up in arms about the pedestrian bridge, saying it's a waste of money and a vanity project. I think it plays a big role, Southworks or no Southworks. There's a big stretch between Concession and Main without a crossing; this will aid pedestrian traffic flow.

It is a seven minute walk going from one bridge to the other bridge, from where the proposed bridge is going to be built it is a 2 minute walk from Concession and 5 minutes from Main st. I can see how it would be considered a waste of money since there is already access North and South, and to get to most of the businesses/shops/grt in Galt a person is going to go walk to Main St anyways.

A pedestrican bridge added onto the rail bridge would be a lot handier and would have a much higher use.
No reason they can't build both. I'm sure CP would be happy to chip in if it means fewer chances of casualties on their bridge.
(11-20-2016, 11:03 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: No reason they can't build both. I'm sure CP would be happy to chip in if it means fewer chances of casualties on their bridge.

except its not free
Doug Craig's hyperbole could have merit if he is hoping for a project with the similar weight and impact of the Tannery restoration and re-purposing in Kitchener. While I'm sure some could argue that the Tannery development didn't create the downtown growth in Kitchener, but it definitely provided a focal point for other growth.

The pedestrian bridge would provide a shortcut between a potential LRT terminus and their development.

My one question is how this developement will interface with the Dunfield Theatre. Despite the signage, overflow parking from the theatre often ends up in the Southworks parking lot.
Not sure if this is part of the project, but I found it on the server listed as a South East view, although I don't see any of the proposed 20 floor towers in it.

[Image: J2dwZAT.jpg]
Looks about right.

I was under the impression that the towers were across Fraser Street from the "Southworks" portion. It could just be an omission for effect though.

Hate the entry area; just leave it brick.

City to give 1 million dollars to Galt tech hub.
The first meeting with residents didn't go well..  Welcome to Cambridge HIP.....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7072...-concerns/
This is a good example of gentrification issues.

"We want you to preserve more of what we feel is needs-to-be-preserved old building" = Increased cost for development

"We want you to lower the height of the building" = fewer units

Increased cost spread over fewer units yields much higher per-unit premium, stratifying the unit cost and cutting out more prospective buyers.
(12-09-2016, 08:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not sure if this is part of the project, but I found it on the server listed as a South East view, although I don't see any of the proposed 20 floor towers in it.
[Image: Gaslight_Project_web___Gallery.jpg]

This is the correct render I believe. I think the one previously posted is a closeup of an existing structure.
While I realize that developers are private corporations who don't need to divulge their financial reports publicly, this would be an opportunity to show some clear numbers.
Eg (and these numbers are made up standins)
As proposed cost: $20,000,000
As proposed sales: $22,000,000

As requested cost: $22,000,000 (ie lower height, save more building)
As requested sales: $21,000,000

That could give some leverage for seeking municipal support to protect part of the existing building. It would also give credence to, or put paid to, the argument about "greedy developers pushing us around" or "citizens who are preventing us from being financially sound."
they should just allow them to tear down any building they want in the area, none of it is particularly pretty or worth keeping.

I think there's quite a bit worth preserving there, and not just Southworks.
(01-28-2017, 04:34 PM)darts Wrote: they should just allow them to tear down any building they want in the area, none of it is particularly pretty or worth keeping.

That's what I thought about those ugly Uniroyal buildings on Breithaupt St.   I'm glad no one listened to me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »