Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Missing?
(10-02-2014, 07:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Can anyone suggest why my posts are not displaying?

I'm working on it.  But this one showed up so that's a positive thing.  Keep posting, lets see if the issue is behind us.

(10-02-2014, 08:10 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 03:29 PM)Spokes Wrote: When I hit What's New? at the top of the page, it shows all of the threads with unread posts in them.  There's a green arrow and it'll take you to the first unread post.  That post should say "unread post" in red next to the thread number on the top right hand part of the post.

If I'm already on that screen to see what's new, it would make a lot of sense to have the entire thread link jump to the first unread post.

That may not be an option.  I'll look into it.
(10-02-2014, 10:11 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 08:10 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 03:29 PM)Spokes Wrote: When I hit What's New? at the top of the page, it shows all of the threads with unread posts in them.  There's a green arrow and it'll take you to the first unread post.  That post should say "unread post" in red next to the thread number on the top right hand part of the post.

If I'm already on that screen to see what's new, it would make a lot of sense to have the entire thread link jump to the first unread post.

That may not be an option.  I'll look into it.

Speaking of options, I think limiting the amount of nesting that you can have in quotes would be a good thing. Maybe even limiting it to just one level of quotes.
We could use a Bauer Lofts thread. I don't have pics, so I won't start it.

Also, how about a thread or post about local Tweeters?
I agree. It's on my list. My goal has been getting threads up and running for current projects before tackling past projects. It's coming though.

If you've got pictures of projects both completed and in the process of being completed please let me know. One of the things that sucks about WW being folded the way it did was that we lost so much content in terms of progress photos. Not happy about that.

As for the local Tweeters, what did you have in mind? Links to twitter accounts of note?
Were the progress photos hosted on the website or on individuals' photo gallery accounts?
(10-07-2014, 09:42 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Were the progress photos hosted on the website or on individuals' photo gallery accounts?

Both.

Anything posted by UrbanWaterloo was hosted on the site, and while some archiving has found some images, we've been told they're off limits.

Photos taken by anyone else would be hosted elsewhere.  That's my request, share those with us.  PM me if you've got some you'd like to share.

Think we could get the first post of a thread stickied to the top of every page?
It's really helpful for project threads, so that all the key details are present on every page. I rather liked that on Wonderful Waterloo.
I liked the development ideas forum.
(12-15-2014, 11:57 AM)Markster Wrote: Think we could get the first post of a thread stickied to the top of every page?
It's really helpful for project threads, so that all the key details are present on every page. I rather liked that on Wonderful Waterloo.

I'll look into getting a plugin for this.

The issue lies in that when people start new threads, they don't follow the thread starting guidelines so then the content that you have pinned to the top isn't actually the content that you want.
(12-15-2014, 10:44 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I liked the development ideas forum.

I'll create it, but if there's ever a thread you (or anyone) wants, just create it.  Everyone can and should do so.
(12-16-2014, 12:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'll look into getting a plugin for this.

The issue lies in that when people start new threads, they don't follow the thread starting guidelines so then the content that you have pinned to the top isn't actually the content that you want.
Same thing happened on WW, but when it's always there, people start to remember!
Yes, it also requires a bit more effort from the moderators.
An odd quirk, but is there any way to change the way that multiple page page threads are displayed in the "What's new" or sub-forum level. Right now, they typically will display additional pages as [1] [2] [3] ... [14]. It would be more useful if it were to display like [1] [2] ... [13] [14] in case a reader wanted to jump to the second-last page.

On a related note, if I go to the last page of a thread (eg. [14] above) yet notice that the first post on that page was unread, I then jump to the previous page (eg. [13]). Even though I know that some of the posts on the previous page were not previously read, they are all marked as read.

(12-17-2014, 01:17 AM)nms Wrote: An odd quirk, but is there any way to change the way that multiple page page threads are displayed in the "What's new" or sub-forum level.  Right now, they typically will display additional pages as [1] [2] [3] ... [14].  It would be more useful if it were to display like [1] [2] ... [13] [14] in case a reader wanted to jump to the second-last page.

On a related note, if I go to the last page of a thread (eg. [14] above) yet notice that the first post on that page was unread, I then jump to the previous page (eg. [13]).  Even though I know that some of the posts on the previous page were not previously read, they are all marked as read.

I'll look into the first question.  I suspect there's not that option, but I'll see what I can do.

As for the second, I've noticed that too, and I think it's simply because it assumes since you've gone to page 14, everything before that is read and therefore marked that way
(12-17-2014, 01:17 AM)nms Wrote: On a related note, if I go to the last page of a thread (eg. [14] above) yet notice that the first post on that page was unread, I then jump to the previous page (eg. [13]).  Even though I know that some of the posts on the previous page were not previously read, they are all marked as read.

If you click "View new posts" on the home page you'll get a list of threads that have been updated since your last visit. There's a [Image: jump.png] in front of each thread title. If you click that it takes you to the first new post. In your example that would be on page 13. That should address your needs unless I've misunderstood what you want to accomplish.

On a related note using the same example if the first unread post is at the bottom of page 13 the reader has to notice that the conversation continues on page 14. That's easy to miss. What would be really nice is that when using [Image: jump.png] the page length is automatically extended so that all new posts can be read without having to click to new pages. (I realize this could be a problem if a new user clicks on that icon for the first time and gets a single unpaginated conversation that's 14 pages long. I also appreciate that this sort of feature needs to come from MyBB rather than via some local mod.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »