Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barcode for Facebook
Hey was just wondering if anyone knows how to create Barcode for a Facebook page to display at vendor shows?

A little background...
8 years ago I was injured in an physical altercation at the bar I worked at (long story short I was written off by doctors due to post concusive injury due to long history of head injuries). I ran the through the paces with WSIB only to be pushed out the back door with little to nothing to show for it 7 years later.
My wife and I started to refinish or distress vintage furniture then slowly started to make custom signs. This is really starting to take off for us and we are now doing shows and fairs as well as selling via Social Media and retail site such as Etsy and Kijiji.
This is where my question comes in to play, is there a way to share (at a show) our FB page as a Barcode that people can scan. We do business cards but it seems kinda of a waste given how tech driven the world has become. We tried to do a Website but have a very little luck and we are not at a point where we can pay someone to do it for us.
I appreciate the time you have taken to read this and any helpful advice is much appreciated. I love what we do and am blessed to have finally found my purpose again!

I don't know about barcodes but have you looked at a QR code?

http://www.qrstuff.com/
It was really either that I was looking for, I'm lost when it comes to a lot this type of stuff! Lol I figured given the demographic of our forum we could figure it out!! Thanks for the link
(10-12-2016, 12:30 PM)white_brian Wrote: It was really either that I was looking for, I'm lost when it comes to a lot this type of stuff! Lol I figured given the demographic of our forum we could figure it out!! Thanks for the link

I hope it works for you.  I'm not particularly tech savvy but I was fooling around with the quick response code a few years ago and it seemed to work.
Thanks jgsz! Got her done...

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-13-2016, 06:41 PM)white_brian Wrote: Thanks jgsz! Got her done...

Yep, it works!
I'm somewhat baffled that the software to read these doesn't seem to be included with my iPhone; do you have to have a separate app which gets launched to read them? If so, that's really annoying - seems like it should be something that the camera app should natively recognize and go to work with...

When I first created it I had asked my son if his Iphone had an app so I could make sure it worked, I am still using BlackBerry Passport which I had to download an app on. I'm gonna see if my wife's BlackBerry PRIV has one. I was always under the impression that phones automatically registered the QR codes
The iPhone does not.
(10-14-2016, 10:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I'm somewhat baffled that the software to read these doesn't seem to be included with my iPhone; do you have to have a separate app which gets launched to read them?  If so, that's really annoying - seems like it should be something that the camera app should natively recognize and go to work with...

I have also always wondered this.

The lack of this function being built into the native camera apps has meant that QR codes just never took off.
In Japan, they're everywhere, but that's because literally everyone has a QR code reader app. It's been a built-in feature for over 10 years.
We had our setup at the Rockton World's Fair just recently and the turnout was incredible! We were the only vendor of our type and we had really great sales and potential of custom orders to come. The problem is I went through 500 cards! A lot of people were interested in what else we can do and I would show them our page but there were so many people interested some got left out. My wife and I normally do these shows together but she was at home making more signs because we were selling so much. (sounds like a real problem but we weren't complaining) I felt bad because I couldn't come up with a way for people to get to our page quickly and then I ran out of cards to top it all off

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-17-2016, 10:11 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The iPhone does not.

Do any phones have this as stock software?  I had to download a third party app on my Galaxy
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »