Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find a doctor in the region
Well, here we are.  Moved in and settled into life in New Hamburg, and quite loving the region.  We've been enjoying all the beaches within an hours drive, swimming pools, parks, and towns...big and small.

Now we have to get down to family business.

We need a family doctor.  I have two kids with mild asthma and I'm in need of a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon for a neck issue. 

Some friends in the area have recommended doctors to us, only to find out that they are not taking additional patients.

Any suggestions about how to go about finding a family doctor without simply opening a phone book and cold calling each and every one?

Thanks all! I'm happy to call myself an Kitchener-Waterloo-ite now!  Hmm...Kitchener-Waterloo-onian? Regionarian? Whatever..I'm happy to be here.

This is the first thing I found, and it looks like it has some good advice:

http://greaterkwchamber.com/2014/07/proc...ly-doctor/

It can be difficult to find a local doctor, but I think the situation has improved in recent years.
Welcome to the region!

There are a few options in last year's thread:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s....php?tid=4&pid=9192&highlight=doctor#pid9192

It appears that at least themedicalclinic.ca is accepting patients.
Thanks guys!  That's gives me a good start tomorrow.
Welcome! I hope you and your family enjoy your new home here in the region.
We just went through this process with our family not too long ago. We registered with Health Care Connect and were given a few options. Two were pretty convenient for us. The process didn't take too long.
When we moved here in 2008 we used the above service to find a doctor. Took a surprisingly short amount of time.

https://goo.gl/maps/PLZASRQF6862

This family doctor on Belmont Avenue has been accepting new patients for some time now. My only gripe would be that you are forced to pay to park at that particular building ($2/entry) which seems like a cash grab.
Is anyone else used to the visit fees? If I don't pay a couple hundred a year, I get spot charged for anything and everything.
I also pay an annual visit fee to my current doctor who took over the practice of the doctor I had since childhood. The previous doctor did not charge such fees. Perhaps they didn't exist then, I don't know. Still, it's money well spent in my opinion.
Huh? Visit fees? I thought we were in Canada. (My doctor does not charge visit fees).
I've never heard of such a thing? Is that allowed?
I have also never heard of a doctor charging visit fees.

Many doctors/family health teams give the option of an annual fee that supplants fees that would be charged for any number of common uninsured services. I've never heard of anything called a "visit fee", however. A visit to the doctor (for medical reasons) is, I would have thought, an insured service.
What panamaniac describes is what I pay for. I've never heard the term "viit fee" either, but I assumed this is what Viewfrom42 meant.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »