Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
EuroPro video about DTK, Market Square and Conestoga College:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmQOQqCQJE

I continue to hope that we'll someday see a couple of stories added to the former Stantec building that Conestoga now occupies.
Is that possible?
No idea, although sticking a glass and metal addition on top of a concrete and masonry building doesn't seem uncommon. Mostly, assuming that it's not going anywhere, I'd like to see the parking garage hidden by building up.
Sorry to bump this thread, with no new news. I just wanted to show what centennial college is doing to an existing building on there campus. Obviously this comes with $100 million price tag. But if they decide they don't want to tear this block down and start from scratch,  this is my hope for market square some day. A joint venture between Europa( or future owner), Conestoga College and the Record could turn this eyesore into something more modern and beautiful. They could even keep those bridges some on here are so found of... as long as the modernize them.  Not saying it will ever happen, but one can dream.

https://inhabitat.com/canadas-first-net-...n-toronto/

[Image: Centennial-Progress-Campus-A-Block-6-889x592.jpg]
(03-06-2020, 01:24 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Sorry to bump this thread, with no new news. I just wanted to show what centennial college is doing to an existing building on there campus. Obviously this comes with $100 million price tag. But if they decide they don't want to tear this block down and start from scratch,  this is my hope for market square some day. A joint venture between Europa( or future owner), Conestoga College and the Record could turn this eyesore into something more modern and beautiful. They could even keep those bridges some on here are so found of... as long as the modernize them.  Not saying it will ever happen, but one can dream.

https://inhabitat.com/canadas-first-net-...n-toronto/

[Image: Centennial-Progress-Campus-A-Block-6-889x592.jpg]

You don't need to go that far to see a radical refurb of a college building.

Yeah, I feel like I joked somewhere in the forum already that EuroPro and Conestoga College collaborating on any sort of exterior updates might not be the winningest duo.

I didn't want to use the Conestoga university ave campus as an example because although not bad, it is not entirely inspiring in terms of its architecture. I do agree that it will probably require Europa to sell the building before any of this happens. I was just looking for internal reassurance that market square doesn't have to have its current appearance for the rest of days.
(03-06-2020, 03:11 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I do agree that it will probably require Europa to sell the building

Hoping to clarify: Is Europa a DBA for EuroPro, an autocorrect glitch, or is it a different entity entirely and it is not EuroPro that owns Market Square?
The Conestoga College project was also half the cost of the one at Centennial. And it's not clear to me what the building looked like before it was reworked.
(03-06-2020, 03:15 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:11 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I do agree that it will probably require Europa to sell the building

Hoping to clarify: Is Europa a DBA for EuroPro, an autocorrect glitch, or is it a different entity entirely and it is not EuroPro that owns Market Square?
Just mistaken spelling. For some reason I thought they owned market square. Does anyone know who owns Market Square?
(03-06-2020, 03:47 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:15 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Hoping to clarify: Is Europa a DBA for EuroPro, an autocorrect glitch, or is it a different entity entirely and it is not EuroPro that owns Market Square?
Just mistaken spelling. For some reason I thought they owned market square. Does anyone know who owns Market Square?

Europro owns Market Square.
(03-06-2020, 03:47 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:15 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Hoping to clarify: Is Europa a DBA for EuroPro, an autocorrect glitch, or is it a different entity entirely and it is not EuroPro that owns Market Square?

EuroPro owns Market Square. At least in this universe.

(03-06-2020, 03:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The Conestoga College project was also half the cost of the one at Centennial. And it's not clear to me what the building looked like before it was reworked.
The Centenial college hasn't been constructed yet. $58 million in 2018 construction dollars vs $108 million in 2023 construction dollars. Obviously still more money but not half.  
 https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7842652,-...6656?hl=en
Might the college completely buy out Market Square eventually?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »