Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
(12-26-2019, 10:34 PM)jeffster Wrote: If people were taught how to take care of themselves and their surroundings, then you'd have a lot more private landlords listing affordable rentals, as the risk is less. And the region itself could afford more housing.

That might help. Another thing that might help is making it very easy to evict for non-payment of rent or for damage to the unit. If a tenant doesn’t pay, they’re really just a trespasser who can’t be removed, and if they damage the unit, they’re really just a vandal who happens to have the legal right to continue damaging the landlord’s property.

Of course in real life a change like this would probably be made by a right-wing government in a way that just makes it easier for landlords to harass all tenants, not just the problem ones. But in principle making it easier to get rid of bad tenants would make it more attractive for small landlords to get into the game and possibly make a lot of basements, additions, and above-garage units available for housing.

(12-27-2019, 01:17 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-26-2019, 10:34 PM)jeffster Wrote: If people were taught how to take care of themselves and their surroundings, then you'd have a lot more private landlords listing affordable rentals, as the risk is less. And the region itself could afford more housing.

That might help. Another thing that might help is making it very easy to evict for non-payment of rent or for damage to the unit. If a tenant doesn’t pay, they’re really just a trespasser who can’t be removed, and if they damage the unit, they’re really just a vandal who happens to have the legal right to continue damaging the landlord’s property.

Of course in real life a change like this would probably be made by a right-wing government in a way that just makes it easier for landlords to harass all tenants, not just the problem ones. But in principle making it easier to get rid of bad tenants would make it more attractive for small landlords to get into the game and possibly make a lot of basements, additions, and above-garage units available for housing.

There are probably equal amounts of bad landlords versus bad tenants. If you have ever witnessed a tribunal you can see a huge divide between good tenants and bad landlords and vice-versa.

As a former superintendent, though, I can tell you first hand how hard it is to get great tenants. We (the wife and I) did do a pretty good job and only has one problem tenant (serious mental issues - threatening to kill people, but because he had friends in WRPS nothing happened). And by hard I mean, having to make judgment calls and wait on the next perspective. We didn't want just anyone living there, so to some extent, we judge each character as they came along (not for race, btw).

Funny thing is, when we started the job, the place had a 40% vacancy rate, we had a couple dealers living there, plus a couple that didn't pay rent. Within 6 months, we had managed to get rid of the deadbeats and have 100% occupancy. Save for the mental patient, everything else was grand.

BUT -- knowing what I know, I don't think I could be a landlord. These days everyone takes everyone to court, including if you reject applications. Is what it is.
(12-29-2019, 12:26 AM)jeffster Wrote: As a former superintendent, though, I can tell you first hand how hard it is to get great tenants. We (the wife and I) did do a pretty good job and only has one problem tenant (serious mental issues - threatening to kill people, but because he had friends in WRPS nothing happened). And by hard I mean, having to make judgment calls and wait on the next perspective. We didn't want just anyone living there, so to some extent, we judge each character as they came along (not for race, btw).

Yes. definitely agree!
Europro posted pictures of the Conestoga interior updates to their Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/europrospaces/
Is Conestoga College occupying just the former Stantec space?
(01-15-2020, 11:04 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is Conestoga College occupying just the former Stantec space?

So far, yes. They do have expansion plans.
I wonder if Market Square will be renamed at some point? The name doesn't match the use of the building anymore. Maybe it could be renamed Conestoga Square? Or College Square if Trios is staying?

(01-17-2020, 02:24 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I wonder if Market Square will be renamed at some point? The name doesn't match the use of the building anymore. Maybe it could be renamed Conestoga Square? Or College Square if Trios is staying?

Those suggested names would be confusing, given College St in DTK and Conestoga Mall in Waterloo.   I'm not sure I see anything wrong with a continued nod to the historic site of Kitchener's market, although I'd be fine if they wanted to rename it.
(01-17-2020, 07:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 02:24 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I wonder if Market Square will be renamed at some point? The name doesn't match the use of the building anymore. Maybe it could be renamed Conestoga Square? Or College Square if Trios is staying?

Those suggested names would be confusing, given College St in DTK and Conestoga Mall in Waterloo.   I'm not sure I see anything wrong with a continued nod to the historic site of Kitchener's market, although I'd be fine if they wanted to rename it.

Slightly confusing that there is an actual market not at that spot though.
Maybe  they could just tear the whole thing down and call it pubic square Smile . If that's not an option I guess they could call it something ironic like preservation court or heritage square.
Frederick Square. Duke Square. (Alas, there is no such thing as 'the Duke of Frederick'.)
(01-17-2020, 07:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

Call it what it is: "Ugliest Building In Kitchener" #UBIK
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
(01-19-2020, 01:14 AM)MacBerry Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 07:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Those suggested names would be confusing, given College St in DTK and Conestoga Mall in Waterloo.   I'm not sure I see anything wrong with a continued nod to the historic site of Kitchener's market, although I'd be fine if they wanted to rename it.

Call it what it is: "Ugliest Building In Kitchener" #UBIK

I don't know, I think there's a lot of competition for that title ...  Wink

(01-18-2020, 09:43 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Maybe  they could just tear the whole thing down and call it pubic square Smile . If that's not an option I guess they could call it something ironic like preservation court or heritage square.

Not sure if that's a typo, or a dig at Market Sq.

I was going to add a pubic square image, but I'm at work and Googling that may be career limiting... LOL

Coke
(01-21-2020, 10:40 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 09:43 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Maybe  they could just tear the whole thing down and call it pubic square Smile . If that's not an option I guess they could call it something ironic like preservation court or heritage square.

Not sure if that's a typo, or a dig at Market Sq.

I was going to add a pubic square image, but I'm at work and Googling that may be career limiting... LOL

Coke
Hahaha Definitely a typo. Doesn't change how I feel about this building and its place in downtown Kitchener though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »