Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
Was Stantec's old space still vacant?

Yep, the whole thing is going VERY spare.
This is another interesting article that mentions Market Square. It mentions similar Failed Downtown Malls in Ontario almost all being anchored by Eatons. it lists what some of The cities have done to revitalize the properties. https://seanmarshall.ca/2018/02/14/ontar...own-malls/
I hope something gets done with Market square soon it's depressing inside.
Of note, the call centre (above the Record) has now fully moved out. Still no word on the fate of the career college or the Record itself.
Could the record's space remain while developing around it?

I can't imagine them moving any time soon
(04-18-2019, 12:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Of note, the call centre (above the Record) has now fully moved out. Still no word on the fate of the career college or the Record itself.

Did the call centre close or move?
(04-18-2019, 05:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 12:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Of note, the call centre (above the Record) has now fully moved out. Still no word on the fate of the career college or the Record itself.

Did the call centre close or move?

Moved, to the new complex on the old NCR lands at Weber and Northfield.

(04-18-2019, 06:00 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 05:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Did the call centre close or move?

Moved, to the new complex on the old NCR lands at Weber and Northfield.

Is that corner worth more of the current building or torn down and a new development goes in? 

We need to do much better on that vital downtown corner. It's 2019 not 1973. 

AND no it's NOT a heritage building in any shape or form.
I think it is a great location for a new arena
(04-21-2019, 06:17 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I think it is a great location for a new arena

The aud is empty more often than not and has no street life or any kind. I also don’t know if the aud is really in need of replacement, it got a big upgrade a few years back.
(04-21-2019, 08:32 AM)clasher Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 06:17 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I think it is a great location for a new arena

The aud is empty more often than not and has no street life or any kind. I also don’t know if the aud is really in need of replacement, it got a big upgrade a few years back.

Yes but, we need a slightly bigger venue to get more concerts and acts. Plus, it would allow for conferences downtown. Bring lots of people downtown when there are events who would go to restraints and bars before and after. I am looking at Londons Bud Gardens. It worked out very well. Then tear down the Aud and build a proper Stadium.  Baseball, football socerr.  Let's think outside the box and become a more vibrant midsized city that we are. I love the Rangers, but time to mix it up.
(04-21-2019, 08:32 AM)clasher Wrote:

The Aud is rarely empty -- besides the Rangers, you have a lot of shows, trade shows, the Titans and obviously ice rentals for all 3 arena's from September thru beginning of April. Though you are right, zero street life.

If anything, the city would build a new arena (and keep the twin pads) behind where Centennial Stadium used to be -- and perhaps make the original Aud into a parking garage of some sort.

I'm not 100% sure of Market Square would be large enough to hold a large -- not to mention a serious lack of parking for any large event -- 3,400 spots in total, many which are already rented out, or in use, and many of those spots are far from Market Square, if an arena were to be built there. Though mind you, the LRT would help in this regard.
Bud Gardens footprint is not any larger and has no parking. There is Duke garage. There is Benton Garage and there is an LRT stop right there!!

(04-21-2019, 04:18 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Bud Gardens footprint is not any larger and has no parking. There is Duke garage. There is Benton Garage and there is an LRT stop right there!!

I am pretty sure the parking situation in London is much better, being that its downtown is fairly large compared to Kitchener. The LRT does help though, if that's how people will travel. I'm not sure how many spots are left to use at night at all facilities, though C&B garage usually is full for P1 and P2. Duke perhaps is only one full level (with the exception the suite parking, which wouldn't be assessable). Civic is about quarter full at night, Market is full at night, city hall is maybe 1/4 full, but is a good walk. There is some surface parking, but anything on the west end is full until 10 pm, and there might be a hundred spots or so available closer to Market Square. I would estimate of the 3,400 spots, 1,000 are long term rentals, so that gives us 2,400 spots, of which another 1,000 or so are used before 10 pm, and another 800 that are just too far from Market Square, especially in the brutal cold. So perhaps 600 spots available on game night. This assumes that Centre in the Square doesn't have any event, or City Hall.

Of course, I have no idea about how much private parking there might be...but obviously you'd be losing Market Square regardless.

I am just saying that if the city were to decide to build a arena at that spot, they'd need to figure out parking before that.
(04-21-2019, 04:18 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Bud Gardens footprint is not any larger and has no parking. There is Duke garage. There is Benton Garage and there is an LRT stop right there!!

Market Square property is barely larger than the current Auditorium proper (excluding the Kiwanis/Kinsmen rinks). I think it would be a tight fit to achieve a significantly better arena than the current Auditorium, even ignoring parking (and acquisition of the property from EuroPro).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »