Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trio on Belmont | 14 fl, 12 fl, 8 fl | Complete
Trio on Belmont
460 Belmont Ave, Kitchener
http://www.triobelmont.ca/
Developer: HIP Developments
Project: three luxury apartment buildings (14 fl, 12fl, and 8fl) that will contain 412 units

City of Kitchener staff report

[Image: Render.png]

Before

[Image: before.png]

[Image: before2.png]

Brick site developer also doing big project near Belmont Village
August 16, 2014 | Rose Simone | The Record | LINK[/align]
Quote:WATERLOO REGION — A Waterloo-based real estate development company is undertaking projects worth a total of $180 million in uptown Waterloo and the Belmont Village area of Kitchener.

The redevelopment of the Brick Brewing property on King Street South in Waterloo and the former Boehmer Box site on Belmont Avenue in Kitchener by Hip Developments will bring high-end apartments, retail space and office units into areas of Waterloo Region that are about to be transformed by light rail transit connections.

The $100-million project at Belmont and Gage avenues, alongside the Iron Horse Trail, involves construction of three luxury apartment buildings that will contain 412 units.

Scott Higgins, vice-president of Hip, a division of Melloul-Blamey Construction Inc., said construction of the first building, a $40-million development containing 172 units, is set to begin in October.

The former Boehmer Box plant — Boehmer moved to a new larger location on Trillum Drive in 2006 — is currently being demolished and the site has gone through an environmental cleanup to prepare it for the new building, Higgins said

The first 14-storey building will be followed by a 12-storey building and an eight-storey building over a six-year time frame, he said.

The Trio on Belmont is geared to people who might own a house now, but would like to monetize their real estate and a rent a large "well-appointed" suite in a trendy village near the Waterloo core, Higgins said.

"They will have the stainless steel appliances, luxurious finishes, rooftop terraces and lots of amenities," he said.

As part of a deal with the City of Kitchener, the company will redevelop the Iron Horse Trail in the area between Gage Street and the northwest end of Patricia Street. It will landscape that part of the trail, widen it and add a rest area and rotunda.

"Each building will have over 6,000 square feet of rooftop terraces and a new parkette is being built for the Victoria and Patricia Street neighbourhood," Higgins said. "There will be a new trail connection for the neighbourhood, so it will be beautiful."

August 6, 2014

[Image: August62014.png]

[Image: August620142.png]

All buildings have been completely demolished and rubble cleanup is currently underway.
September 12, 2014

[Image: September1220142.png]

[Image: September1220141.png]

[Image: September1220143.png]
I saw a surveyor on site this morning and this afternoon there was an excavator with a large chunk of ground dug up. Could be the beginning of construction. First action I've seen since early October when the demolition and site clearing was finished.
I run past there regularly and it appears that they have started work on the foundation. There seems to be forms in place for pouring concrete, I'm not sure if they had started on that yet though. There were a lot of people on the site today, though.
I wish Hip would have bought the properties of the stamp company, the car dealership and the 2 houses behind it. IMO there should be a mixed use building where the stamp company is, I think adding retail would help encourage more developments between Glasgow and Gage and would make Belmont Village feel larger. IMO Patricia should be extended to Gage it would combine the two neighbourhoods and give the area much easier access to St.Mary's hospital. I support the development anyways since it's highrises and it's way better than what was there before.
Substantial earth moving has been happening over the last couple months. Looks like the foundations are well underway.

Also, the trees all along the property abutting the Iron Horse Trail were cut down and uprooted today. This was a surprise, as the trees were outside the original construction fence. They built a second construction fence right up against the trail asphalt and cut down the trees.

(01-28-2015, 06:11 PM)samnabi Wrote: Substantial earth moving has been happening over the last couple months. Looks like the foundations are well underway.

Also, the trees all along the property abutting the Iron Horse Trail were cut down and uprooted today. This was a surprise, as the trees were outside the original construction fence. They built a second construction fence right up against the trail asphalt and cut down the trees.

The plan to redevelop and landscape the trail was a deal between the City and the developer and was noted in the original article on the development.
Does anyone have a link the staff report for this project? The link at the top of the thread no longer works.

I went by this site on the trail last night for the first time since the trees were removed. The amount of vegetation removal is staggering and I am trying to understand why it was necessary.

Thank-you.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
A different angled render:

[Image: 460%20Belmont-trial-12-18-01%20(1).jpg]
So that's showing the re-landscaped Iron Horse Trail?
If so, I like it.

I hope the building that faces Belmont has some sort of street interaction. I'm guessing Mixed Use is too much to ask for here.
(02-05-2015, 07:43 AM)Spokes Wrote: If so, I like it.  

I hope the building that faces Belmont has some sort of street interaction.  I'm guessing Mixed Use is too much to ask for here.

I believe the proposal is for complete residential, which is somewhat disappointing.  Belmont needs more retail options.

IMO there will be more then enough people in the area to support more retail, at least a convenience store (preferably 7 Eleven or Mac's Smile ) a pizza place, a Subway or some other sub/pita place and a Starbucks or another Tim Hortons. I'm no retail expert but with all the existing residential the new townhouses on Gage and the Apartments in the area (and probably many more developments soon) I highly doubt they would have an issue getting retail units leased.
I agree that some type of commercial would have been great here, and it's too bad that this isn't going to end up being mixed-use.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »