Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centre in the Square
I'm glad that the City Council made the decision that they did.  The Centre in the Square was specifically built as a home for the KW Symphony.  The Symphony has been very good in recent years at shaking up its repertoire and creating programming to appeal to a variety of tastes.  Likewise, the Centre in the Square has been good at booking non-Symphony programming too.  I have attended a variety of Symphony and non-Symphony events over the past few years.  I was at the sold out "Singin' in the Rain" concert last Saturday evening and the audience ranged from child to senior (and not to mention at least one Regional Councilor and Ken Seiling too).  I wish them well.  

The Centre in the Square is a true acoustic masterpiece designed by Russell Johnson who, according to his New York Times obituary, designed the acoustics for concert halls around the world like the Frederick P. Rose Hall of Jazz at the Lincoln Center in New York, and for groups like the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Toronto Symphony Orchestra.  Whoever decided to hire him and his firm was definitely forward thinking: "An innovative force also in the development of multi-purpose halls (or concert theatres as he called them), Johnson pioneered unique design elements that resulted in facilities acclaimed for their first class acoustics for music performance, as well as the efficiency of the design and planning of their theatre spaces and equipment."

(03-31-2015, 09:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know whether I agree with City Council's decision yesterday on CITS' mandate, but it's probably best in the absence of another, smaller venue that could focus on the local arts and cultural community.

I agree with the decision from City Council. In this day and age in the competition for good jobs a city has to offer an environment that is conducive to business. This ranges from availability of commercial and industrial space, to proper infrastructure, to good schools, to a lively art scene.

I've talked to CEOs and high academic officials and they all report the lack of a vibrant cultural and commercial activity as an impediment to attracting top talent. In fact RIM opened offices in Toronto not because it wanted to, but because there were some people who wouldn't take the job otherwise.

The decision by City Council is a bold step in the right direction.
The sudden resignation of CITS CEO, Sandra Bender, on Tuesday suggests that the issues between CITS and it's principal users have not yet been fully resolved.
CITS is getting a $395,000 Canada 150 infrastructure grant (City of Kitchener to match). The $790,000 project includes HVAC upgrades and LED lighting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »