Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mount Washington Cog Railway
On a recent road trip out to New England, we visited the Mount Washington Cog Railway, which I had ridden about 20 years ago as a little kid.  Opened in 1869, it was the world's first cog railway, and is the second steepest.  Only one train per day now is done with steam; they've built their own Biodiesel powered engines in-house (which they're quite proud of), but nothing can compare to the experience that steam traction can give.

Here's a video I put together, as well as some of my photos.

The clanking noise you hear is the ratchet (a one-way clutch) which functions much like the anti-rollback device on a roller coaster.  You can see it rattling away in some of the shots.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »