Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Behaviour on Mobile
When a page has more than about 5 posts, it looks fine (attachment in this post).

But when it has just a few posts, it shows up too small/wide (see second post in this thread).

(Also the "insert into post" button doesn't seem to work, it should add the square brackets and attachment text to insert the proper image.)

The whole reply editor actually shows up as far too wide for mobile as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

Improperly displayed

Attached Files Image(s)

I'll check on the button not working, but looking at the image, everything looks good, I don't see the issue.
I think the issue there is that for some reason, it's displaying with a really large screen width. Compare his header, to the page content.
That thread in particular was working just fine for me on mobile. (BlackBerry Leap)
Ahh I follow. Canard, is that on a phone or tablet?
iPhone. So when it's super-wide, it's impossible to read. It should look like the 1st image all the time, not the second.
So, I'm a Browser Developer for mobile. This basically comes down to "viewports"

You design a website and put it online. Woo hoo! On desktop it displays great, but how does it look on a screen that's only a couple inches across?

Well, do the pieces of your design move around? How wide is the content? How much is text?

Mobile browsers have a helluva time figuring out what is the appropriate width to lay out a page. On desktop, it's whatever width the window is. On mobile, it's at some unknown zoom scale.

Browser use certain techniques and heuristics to try and guess what might be an appropriate width. And there are features like Text Auto-Sizing to make sure text is readable even if the width results in a zoom scale that would make large type look like fine print.

But the best way by far is to have the site author explicitly state in the web page: THIS is the width you should lay it out to. This is by means of placing a viewport meta tag within the site's head, like Mozilla recommends:
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

The mobile version of this website doesn't have a valid viewport tag, otherwise your mobile browser wouldn't have to guess (and guess wrong) at the appropriate width to lay out the page.

Thanks - I knew someone here would understand the problem!
Pressing "Quote" below a post you wish to reply to and quote does not actually quote it, it does the same thing as pressing reply (blank reply box).
(09-15-2015, 06:09 AM)Canard Wrote: Pressing "Quote" below a post you wish to reply to and quote does not actually quote it, it does the same thing as pressing reply (blank reply box).

Pressing quote allows you to select several posts to quote in a single reply. Once you are done selecting all the posts you wish to quote press reply and bingo, all the posts you selected are quoted in your reply.
(09-15-2015, 06:09 AM)Canard Wrote: Pressing "Quote" below a post you wish to reply to and quote does not actually quote it, it does the same thing as pressing reply (blank reply box).

(09-15-2015, 06:48 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:

Pressing quote allows you to select several posts to quote in a single reply. Once you are done selecting all the posts you wish to quote press reply and bingo, all the posts you selected are quoted in your reply.

Let's be clear, in both cases, the Reply that needs to be pressed is the (" Reply) option to the left of the Quote radio button. The new reply at the bottom of the page won't ever feature quotes, whereas using the ("Reply) option with or without the Quote radio buttons will take you to a new page with appropriate
On mobile, when I tap "quote" it immediately takes me to the reply page, without any quoted text.
There are no radio buttons. There is no (" reply) option to the left.
(09-15-2015, 08:29 AM)Markster Wrote: On mobile, when I tap "quote" it immediately takes me to the reply page, without any quoted text.
There are no radio buttons. There is no (" reply) option to the left.

Mobile, I can't explain. The quote button can't lead anywhere in the desktop version. And maybe radio isn't the best qualifier; it looks like an open circle, which becomes a checkmark when clicked. Any number of posts can be clicked in this way (unlike single-selection radio buttons). Then, clicking the (" Reply) option brings them all into the new page. Why this is absent on mobile, I can't say.

Best to keep all discussion in this thread to features regarding the mobile version.
BuildingScout and you both replied to a legitimate issue with the mobile version with comments about the desktop version.
(09-15-2015, 06:48 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:

This is correct.  I've talked with the developer about these issues and he's aware of them.  I think for example it should say something like multi quote, not just quote.  But that's just me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »