Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(02-01-2017, 08:22 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Run, there is an invasion on the horizon!!!

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/709789...ghbourhood

[EDIT] oops, I'm looking at a different zoning application. The article is about a different development serving housing near Conestoga College. Same deal: housing bad, students bad.

Looks like this is going to be rejected.
See the agenda for tonight's meeting:
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Cou...76116dfc5c

Quote:That Official Plan Amendment Application OP15/01/A/GS for Owl Properties Inc. and the City
of Kitchener requesting a change in designation from Low Rise Residential with Specific Policy
Area 16 to Low Rise Residential with Specific Policy Area 36 to permit a 47 unit stacked
townhouse development comprising of 40 individual lodging houses (four bedroom units), 6
two bedroom dwelling units, as well as 1 three-bedroom supervisor dwelling unit on the parcel
of land specified and illustrated on Schedule ‘A’ of Community Services Department report
CSD-17-026, be refused; and further,
That Zone Change Application ZC15/01A/GS for Owl Properties Inc. and the City of Kitchener
requesting a change from Residential Three (R-3) with Special Use Provision 319U to
Residential Six (R-6) with Special Use Provision 460U and Special Regulation provision 694R
on the parcel of land specified and illustrated on Map No. 1, be refused.

Here's the latest information on the development on the Zoning applications page:
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityha...mherst.pdf

While the residents speaking out against the proposed stacked townhouse development on Morrison Rd are frustrated with the attempt to build the project on the lot, I don't really understand any of the concerns except for the fact that their is no sidewalk. I have never driven down Morrison but I pass near it's intersection with King regularly, is it not practical to widen the road here a little and add a sidewalk?

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/725984...house-plan-
Kitchener City Council has reversed a decision to permit a natural health clinic at 11 Pioneer Tower Rd (steps from King St East) due to the concerns of nearby residents.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/counc...-1.3383388
The thing about Morrison is it's one of those old country roads that got absorbed by suburbia, but was never upgraded to a street.

I agree that putting in a sidewalk would be a good solution, but what would it connect to? King doesn't have a sidewalk until you get to River. I suppose going up Morrison, to the bend at the Freeport back entrance, could work; sidewalks start there, and there's a bus stop with a shelter.

The cynic in me wonders if the locals will accept a new sidewalk as a solution, or are just using its lack to get the project shelved.
They would likely be opposed to sidewalks as well, one suspects. The cynic in me thinks that the comment that Morrison is "little more than a cow trail" leaves unspoken the rest of the sentence "and that's the way I want to keep it".
(04-25-2017, 10:05 AM)panamaniac Wrote: They would likely be opposed to sidewalks as well, one suspects.  The cynic in me thinks that the comment that Morrison is "little more than a cow trail" leaves unspoken the rest of the sentence "and that's the way I want to keep it".

The era that these people are thinking of is long past.

You only need to take a look:
https://goo.gl/maps/AwtPsSp23hA2

There are limited sections at either end without sidewalks, but the majority in the middle is covered. That this development is going to be on a 200m section that is missing them is simply a reason to put them in.
I'm frankly amazed that there's as much opposition to this one as there is. It's not a vacant lot (i.e. assumed public space) and there's only a couple neighbours across the street. Is driving past a few townhomes on your way to King St really that terrible?
I forgot it kept its name around that bend! Yes, it does turn into a fully-kitted suburban street. My 'country road' allusion was just about the section between King and Freeport.

Both the old Acura dealership and the neighbouring former LCBO building along Kingsway in Kitchener have had new sold signs posted
(04-27-2017, 05:19 PM)razzie13 Wrote: Both the old Acura dealership and the neighbouring former LCBO building along Kingsway in Kitchener have had new sold signs posted

Also known as the campaign headquarters of the ill-fated Aissa campaign for Regional Chair, as I recall.
Picture of the West Acres development from last night:

Attached Files Image(s)

An empty lot on Randall Dr behind Descartes in Waterloo is seeing some site preparation.

Could this be the potential new home of the Ontario Die Company?
The City of Waterloo looks like it is planning to sell 2305 and 2415 University Ave East to Red Rock Investments (see Council Agenda for May 8th). Plans are to build two office buildings. Apparently Red Rock has another property in town with a tenant (tech?) that needs to expand. I tried to figure out what company/tenant but gave up...

Would be good to see some more tech offices around BlackBerry Campus.
Now how do we convince them to include a public food outlet into the construction. I could use somewhere other than the BlackBerry Cafeteria to eat...

On Parkside Drive construction is under way for transform an industrial building into a dentist office.
A children's dentist, specifically. I like the smiling beaver.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »