Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rich Uncle Tavern (formerly The Berlin)
The lease has not been finalized for the second location, as of yet. They may end up finding another location.

Sign went up for The Berlin today - nice gold block letters. Renovation work has been pretty intense these past few weeks, so I imagine they''ll be open within a few weeks (in time for Christmas party season!).
The sign does indeed look nice.

Attached Files Image(s)

Love the look of the whole front. Clean and bold. Well done
They are planning to open in the first week of December. Apparently one of the contractors was not getting the work done and had to be replaced, so the schedule got shifted back.
Jonathan Gushue featured in G&M today, including what he did in the interim:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food...e27540240/

(Opening is "this month".)
(12-01-2015, 03:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Jonathan Gushue featured in G&M today, including what he did in the interim:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food...e27540240/

(Opening is "this month".)

Uh, wow, um, that's not exactly the kind of article I was expecting from such a nonchalant link.

Three years after his mysterious disappearance, former Langdon Hall chef breaks his silence
Quote:On the night of Dec. 28, 2012, Jonathan Gushue, one of Canada’s most decorated chefs, disappeared. He finished a dinner service at Langdon Hall that included pickerel in crème fraîche with black radish and black-pepper honey, got into his car and never arrived home.

No one, including Gushue’s wife, his sous chefs and his friends, knew what had happened to the 41-year-old father of three who, just two years earlier, had put Langdon Hall, in Cambridge, Ont., on the prestigious San Pellegrino World’s Best Restaurants list. As the chef’s disappearance made headlines from coast to coast, mysterious details began leaking out – his phone was found at an upscale Toronto hotel – but nothing more.

Thirteen days later, Gushue was found and reported safe. Several months later, he left Langdon Hall, then vanished from public life.

After three years of silence, Gushue is opening a new restaurant, The Berlin, in Kitchener, Ont. In this Globe and Mail exclusive, he talks to food writer and long-time friend Mark Schatzker about his past, his battle with alcohol and why an industry culture that’s widely considered toxic had nothing to do with it.

I guess it may have looked like a nonchalant link -- but then I did want people to read it. Smile
If you're interested in a few photos of how it's coming along, I toured the space last month for The Community Edition: http://communityedition.ca/blog/2015/11/...he-making/

It's much further along now!
This is the most anticipated restaurant opening in K-W since... well, ever!
Any update on expected opening?
(12-07-2015, 12:05 AM)BobbyDaSilva Wrote: Any update on expected opening?

The interior looks pretty much finished (and it looks good!), but need some furniture.  Should not be long now.

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks like Berin is either planning for a special event, or is going to open with temporary furniture - there is a stack of large round folding tables and white stacking chairs in the place as of today.

opening Dec 21, according to their twitter..
(12-10-2015, 10:20 PM)Smore Wrote: opening Dec 21, according to their twitter..

Yes, they're accepting reservations from the 21st, but I wonder if there won't be at least a few days of "soft opening" before then?.  What a shame that they have missed the Christmas office party season - I think it would have been very lucrative for them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »