Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Population and Housing
My understanding is there is already greenfield land available for SFH housing, it's just that Waterloo Region has decided that it doesn't need any more.

Editorial in the Record today pointing out the inanity of the "OMG student housing oversupply" report by the Town and Gown committee.

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/5...n-problem/
(06-18-2015, 02:42 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Editorial in the Record today pointing out the inanity of the "OMG student housing oversupply" report by the Town and Gown committee.

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/5...n-problem/

Nitpick: today's piece is an op-ed. The editorial a couple of days ago made a lot less sense.
I'm interested in the nit you have picked.
What makes it not an Editorial?
Maybe it's shorthand, but isn't an "editorial" a piece that reflects the view of a newspaper's editors while an "op-ed" is used to describe a piece from someone not on the newspaper staff?
Correct. "Op-ed" is "opposing editorial." An editorial is written by the newspaper's editor, and an "op-ed" submitted with a different viewpoint by an external writer in the same pages.
(06-19-2015, 01:03 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Correct. "Op-ed" is "opposing editorial." An editorial is written by the newspaper's editor, and an "op-ed" submitted with a different viewpoint by an external writer in the same pages.

I think it means "opposite" the editorial page.  And those articles are signed, unlike the editorials which are the word of God.   Or so they would have you believe. 

(06-19-2015, 01:20 PM)jgsz Wrote: I think it means "opposite" the editorial page.  And those articles are signed, unlike the editorials which are the word of God.   Or so they would have you believe. 

Editorials are, by definition, the work and opinion of the editorial staff, and in general will be aligned with the views of the editor-in-chief.  No deities required, EIC is close enough at a newspaper.
That op-ed is mostly reasonable. The author is the editor-in-chief of Maclean's (but not the Record) and has also written at length against the LRT. I guess one isn't wrong all the time. I do disagree with his claim that it's easy to repurpose 5br apartments as family homes though. It's doable, but not that easy...
(06-21-2015, 03:55 PM)plam Wrote: That op-ed is mostly reasonable. The author is the editor-in-chief of Maclean's (but not the Record) and has also written at length against the LRT. I guess one isn't wrong all the time. I do disagree with his claim that it's easy to repurpose 5br apartments as family homes though. It's doable, but not that easy...
Indeed, conversion of the 5-bedrooms is quite unlikely. However, you never know what happens in a 30-year timespan. They won't be converting if they stay at $550/bed/month. I expect that it's the 1/2/3-bedroom units in the newer towers that are more likely to be rented by non-students.
http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/5...nd-growth/
Outhit's column about the regions official plan gets slammed by the former vice chair of the OMB
What does she know? Whereas Outhit, he's a polymath and judging from his columns the worlds expert on many subjects.

I still remember when he could tell better than expert city planers that Ira Needles Blvd. only required two lanes, not four.
(06-21-2015, 03:55 PM)plam Wrote: That op-ed is mostly reasonable. The author is the editor-in-chief of Maclean's (but not the Record) and has also written at length against the LRT.

Another nitpick: Peter Shawn Taylor is most definitely not editor-in-chief of Maclean's. He is an editor-at-large, which basically means he contributes content that interests him.

(06-21-2015, 10:48 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 03:55 PM)plam Wrote: That op-ed is mostly reasonable. The author is the editor-in-chief of Maclean's (but not the Record) and has also written at length against the LRT.

Another nitpick: Peter Shawn Taylor is most definitely not editor-in-chief of Maclean's. He is an editor-at-large, which basically means he contributes content that interests him.

whoops. Thanks for the correction.
As a two-decade-long reader of Maclean's, and possibly soon to be former, you could be forgiven for thinking that PST is the EIC. The rightward swerve of the paper - from cover, to coverage, to colouring of - has been drastic since when I first picked it up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »