Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Population and Housing
(10-26-2022, 02:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: These seem the key points (the speculator tax is just window-dressing):
Quote:
  • Freezing and reducing government charges to spur new home construction and reduce the costs of housing.
  • Building more density near transit, unlocking innovative approaches to design and construction, and removing red tape to get shovels in the ground faster.

So, freezing development charges for regions and municipalities, thus forcing more of that burden onto property taxes.

The second bullet says nothing about zoning, which really is the biggest bottleneck of all.

The other thing that caught my attention during the press conference was the elimination of exclusionary single family zoning. Any single family lot can now have up to three units on it. I'm not sure how this is codified into the legislation.

Edit:
Quote:If passed, up to three residential units would be permitted “as of right” on most land zoned for one home in residential areas without needing a municipal by-law amendment. Depending on the property in question, these three units could all be within the existing residential structure or could take the form of a residence with an in-law or basement suite and a laneway or garden home.

OK, if they actually do that (the provincial government does have the power to override any municipal or regional bylaws) Doug Ford will actually have earned some kudos. I missed that as it wasn't highlighted as one of the bullets!
(10-26-2022, 05:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, if they actually do that (the provincial government does have the power to override any municipal or regional bylaws) Doug Ford will actually have earned some kudos. I missed that as it wasn't highlighted as one of the bullets!

But will Toronto’s weird rule disallowing multiple doors facing the front of the property still be permissible?
(10-26-2022, 09:23 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-26-2022, 05:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, if they actually do that (the provincial government does have the power to override any municipal or regional bylaws) Doug Ford will actually have earned some kudos. I missed that as it wasn't highlighted as one of the bullets!

But will Toronto’s weird rule disallowing multiple doors facing the front of the property still be permissible?

I hope not… I can’t go to Montreal anymore due to all those forward-facing medium density doors looking at me everywhere.
local cambridge weirdo
Meeting: Waterloo Region Inclusionary Zoning Discussion

Tue, 13 December 2022, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EST 
35B Weber St W 35B Weber Street West Kitchener, ON N2H 3Z1

Waterloo Region and cities are exploring inclusionary zoning as a way to include affordable units in new housing along the ION corridor.

The Cities of Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge have partnered, with support from the Region of Waterloo, to explore the feasibility of adopting a new tool to increase the supply of affordable housing. The tool, called inclusionary zoning, would allow the Cities to require private developers to include a certain percentage of affordable units within new, multi-unit housing developments along the ION transit corridor.

The intent of this session will be to discuss the concept, ask questions of municipal staff, and share your feedback.

We look forward to hearing your opinions and concerns.

Parking detail: There will be a few spaces in the community centre lot available to attendees. Visitors will need to obtain a pink parking permit from the front desk. There is also parking available at the Duke Street public lot, or street parking is permitted for 2h.
Not sure where I should post this, but I just read something very interesting:

https://darrellowens.substack.com/p/ca-c...ing-powers

Apparently recent changes to California state law have pretty much cancelled all zoning restrictions on residential construction. As a result, huge numbers of housing units are being approved through new procedures where the municipal planning departments only get to do some basic checking before approving. In particular, zoning rules relating to density and parking minima no longer exist.

Is California going to have a housing construction boom? Assuming I’m understanding correctly, we may be about to see a very interesting time in the California real estate market.
Here too, please! Hah who am I kidding, this dumb province re-elected Doug Ford.

(02-01-2023, 06:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: Here too, please! Hah who am I kidding, this dumb province re-elected Doug Ford.

And after John Oliver warned us, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiHC0XFgOA

Very disappointing! I hope the next election is different. There is some hope, with both major opposition parties replacing their leaders and I hope doing some thinking about what they need to do, but I’m still worried, both about what the Conservatives will do in the current term and about the outcome of the next election.
In Ottawa, rumours that Cynthia Freeland might resign and seek the Ontario Liberal leadership. Seems fanciful to me, but who knows. It would be the salvation of the Ontario Liberals, were it to happen.
She is probably the best suggestion I've heard so far.

Frankly, there aren't many Liberals who excite me at this point.
Mike Morris would be a great Liberal as well. I know he's a federal MP, but if he crossed the party lines, I'm sure he would have a job for life.
There's a reason that Mike and Mike aren't liberals. They would in fact, be very bad at it. At a minimum, they would be marginalized within the party.

Whatever you think about the Liberals (and the green party--at least federally is often guilty too) they are a lot of time "fake progressives". In that they talk a good game about issues, but their actions are aggressively moderate and strongly establishment. We saw this with electoral reform. They talked a lot about it, but when it came to it, were unwilling to make any changes that would actually change the status quo.
(02-02-2023, 07:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: She is probably the best suggestion I've heard so far.

Frankly, there aren't many Liberals who excite me at this point.

She would be good as a federal leader, too -- especially as she is from out west. But that post won't be open until Trudeau decides to go, so she may not want to wait for that opportunity.

Our rental pricing issue made national news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/high-re...-1.6738966

Why rent is so expensive in 3 Canadian cities (that aren't Toronto or Vancouver)
It isn't just about high interest rates

Also, are we such an unknown region within Canada that this is still necessary?

The rental market in Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, a cluster of three small cities some 90 kilometres southwest of Toronto
(02-08-2023, 02:41 PM)Chris Wrote: Our rental pricing issue made national news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/high-re...-1.6738966

Why rent is so expensive in 3 Canadian cities (that aren't Toronto or Vancouver)
It isn't just about high interest rates

Also, are we such an unknown region within Canada that this is still necessary?

The rental market in Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, a cluster of three small cities some 90 kilometres southwest of Toronto

*Shrugs*...I think it's reasonable...the region isn't well known outside of tech I think.

I had to look at a map...I guess KW is just barely south of Toronto...but it's almost directly west. Of course, nothing lines up in the province anyway...

Cambridge will appreciate the call out either way.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »