Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Construction standards, techniques and certifications
(03-02-2018, 12:32 PM)KevinL Wrote:
Quote:... found a decision by the region in July 2014 to restrict construction bids to just firms affiliated with the Carpenters' Union "had several negative effects." 

'A decision'. That's all the context they give...

If this really is talking about that “two guys building a shed on Saturday voted the entire Region into a union” event then characterizing it as a “decision by the region” is factually inaccurate and a correction should be issued. The decision was made by whatever board the Region appealed to.

(03-02-2018, 11:56 AM)plam Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 11:27 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The CBC article misses a lot of context. I'd also read https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...l-council/ .

CBC article reads like it was voluntary for the region, rather than something they fought against.

Indeed. The report sounds like it's from anti-union movements. I don't think that this process for forced unionization was appropriate in this case, but I also am wary of people with their own agendas.
 The questions still left unanswered in my mind are:

"Who paid for the study (or who funds Cardus?)?
"Why did Cardus choose Waterloo for the study and not do a comparative across Canada study?"
Is Cardus a "right-wing" conservative establishment?
Who were the author(s) and what social or economic credibility do they have?
Are they an industry funded lobby group?  

These and many other questions should have been asked by CBC Kitchener.
(03-02-2018, 02:16 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 11:56 AM)plam Wrote: Indeed. The report sounds like it's from anti-union movements. I don't think that this process for forced unionization was appropriate in this case, but I also am wary of people with their own agendas.
 The questions still left unanswered in my mind are:

"Who paid for the study (or who funds Cardus?)?
"Why did Cardus choose Waterloo for the study and not do a comparative across Canada study?"
Is Cardus a "right-wing" conservative establishment?
Who were the author(s) and what social or economic credibility do they have?
Are they an industry funded lobby group?  

These and many other questions should have been asked by CBC Kitchener.

Cardus appears to be a conservative Christian think tank:\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardus
I went and read a bit more about Cardus. They don't seem to fit the usual categories, in that they are indeed Christian (and pretty Catholic), but not really either pro-union or anti-union in general. They are in favour of more religion in public life.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »