Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(10-11-2018, 08:01 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 03:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe some day they can convert that huge patio into some kind of interactive use.

I've been waiting for them to do that for years.  There and at Queen and Weber.  At least there it looks like there could be some potential

I've always thought the Allen Square building had potential for a nice patio, especially being next to an LRT station now.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Me too!!!

All of these have massive re-purposing potential. I don't know if the buildings could handle it, but I'd love to see it.
(10-11-2018, 11:15 PM)Spokes Wrote: Me too!!!

All of these have massive re-purposing potential.  I don't know if the buildings could handle it, but I'd love to see it.

Re-purposing for?  Aren't they already successful office spaces?
Sorry, repurposing of their ground floors for something with more street level interaction.
Just saw a post that the Weber Street Public House (former mother's pizza\bennys) is closed and a notice posted by the landlord.
That took what, a few months?
That location is cursed

I didn't even realize it had opened yet.
Another steak House has opened where Wildfire once was:. https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/whatson...-waterloo/
I wonder if you get a discount for prepping your own food? Wink
Has anyone tried the food at Yurub at 146 King Street West?  Apparently it's an authentic Somali restaurant but it could easily pass as another shawarma place.   

http://www.yurubrestaurant.com/index
(10-30-2018, 01:27 PM)jgsz Wrote: Has anyone tried the food at Yurub at 146 King Street West?  Apparently it's an authentic Somali restaurant but it could easily pass as another shawarma place.   

I walked in the other day because I noticed it was open and was surprised and confused enough by how much it looked like a sit-down restaurant that I didn't want to look stupid and ask if there was shawarma take-out. I'll get over myself eventually, but it is pretty nicely laid out inside, with several 4-top tables and perhaps some booths. When I'm ready for a sit-down lunch and to ask questions I'll give it a try for real. Comfortably dark with lights directly above the tables. It's not fine dining by any means, just simple chairs and tables, similar and perhaps a bit nicer decor to Pho DNK across the street, but mostly just new and up-to-date.
(10-30-2018, 10:12 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if you get a discount for prepping your own food?  Wink

I hear there is a new concept coming where you just buy whatever ingredients you want and take them home. You install some of the same equipment in your house that they have in a restaurant, and you can just make whatever dishes you want! I think it’s going to be big.

(10-30-2018, 01:27 PM)jgsz Wrote: Has anyone tried the food at Yurub at 146 King Street West?  Apparently it's an authentic Somali restaurant but it could easily pass as another shawarma place.   

Is that a first in K-W?  I am not familiar with Somali cuisine.
Yesterday we had a late lunch at Yurub Restaurant.  It was a mistake.  They are not ready to open.  Most of the menu items were not available.  For example, I asked for mint tea.  They didn't have any.  My husband asked for a mango smoothie.  They didn't have that either so he settled on mango juice.  We were the only couple at a table but I had to ask for a bottle of water three times.  I could go on and on but I don't want to destroy them.  Suffice it to say they don't seem to know how to operate a restaurant.

We did manage to order lunch but it wasn't exactly what we wanted.  But it was okay.  My husband had fried chicken legs that came with rice and a small salad.  He liked the chicken.  I ordered a beef suqaar which also came with a salad and some flat bread.  The flat bread is similar to injera and you're supposed to use bits of it to pick up the food on the plate.  I wasn't told that so I asked for utensils.  The beef suqaar was nothing more than onions, peppers and beef sauteed in a pan.  Although it tasted okay there was nothing to it to suggest it was Somali food.  At least it wasn't salted to death. 

Below is a picture of my beef suqaar:

We may go back once they have their act together.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »