Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Sad to see Berlin Bicycle Cafe on Belmont is closing (Facebook post).

(09-15-2017, 09:34 AM)highlander Wrote: Sad to see Berlin Bicycle Cafe on Belmont is closing (Facebook post).

NOOOOOOO !!!  I love that place...
That's a shame. Their service model had its weaknesses, but the food was terrific!
Apparently the Berlin Bicycle Cafe is not closing after all:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We're staying OPEN! Thanks for coming alongside us to share your knowledge and support. Your encouragement is the reason we are here to stay <a href="https://t.co/NFUyuP6Fcz">pic.twitter.com/NFUyuP6Fcz</a></p>&mdash; Berlin Bicycle Café (@berlinbikecafe) <a href="https://twitter.com/berlinbikecafe/status/910923956869373952">September 21, 2017</a></blockquote>
They'll retool (ha) the business a bit; no longer directly sell bicycles but will continue providing repairs. More here: https://www.facebook.com/berlinbicycleca...00/?type=3
I had no idea they sold (or repaired) bikes! I always thought it was just a cafe.
They do, down in the basement. I had an adjustment made there when I didn't have the proper tool at home. Fair prices too!

Anyone been by Wilhem's Cafe? They're still waiting for their liquor license, but apparently are open. Curious what they'll have on tap. Nice addition to Belmont Village. https://wilhelmskw.com/
(10-08-2017, 08:34 PM)kidgibnick Wrote: Anyone been by Wilhem's Cafe? They're still waiting for their liquor license, but apparently are open. Curious what they'll have on tap.  Nice addition to Belmont Village. https://wilhelmskw.com/

I popped in to check it out during the Belmont Bestival; it was a soft opening and menu/beverage items were limited. They did do a really nice job with the space though and the staff was friendly!
There's a liquor licence application in the former Enterprise location, ~300 Victoria St. N.
The proposed A&W at Ottawa and Strasburg Rd will be going ahead.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/760...ner-homes/
As expected. Council's self serving decision only kicked that down the road.
(10-13-2017, 08:16 AM)KevinL Wrote: As expected. Council's self serving decision only kicked that down the road.

What would be self serving in respecting the wishes of the community they serve ?  To get votes ?  

We elect people to make decisions on our behalf.. I don't necessarily always agree with with OMB because they often over rule local leaders who have their finger on the pulse of the community more so than the OMB. However, in this situation, the use of the OMB as a conciliator seems to have been effective and more efficient.

(10-13-2017, 08:31 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 08:16 AM)KevinL Wrote: As expected. Council's self serving decision only kicked that down the road.

What would be self serving in respecting the wishes of the community they serve ?  To get votes ?  

We elect people to make decisions on our behalf.. I don't necessarily always agree with with OMB because they often over rule local leaders who have their finger on the pulse of the community more so than the OMB. However, in this situation, the use of the OMB as a conciliator seems to have been effective and more efficient.

What is self serving is that the council knew that the OMB would rule for the restaurant developer, because there is no good reason not too (IIRC, even staff recommended accepting the development).  However, council voted against doing so, because that's what the residents wanted.

The result is, the city had to spend money defending an OMB appeal which they believed they would lose (using our tax dollars) the result of which is the restaurant gets built anyway, but the council gets to appear as if they were doing the thing that a few residents wanted.  So our tax dollars were spent on one thing only, and that's making council look good.  That to me is frustrating.

Moreover, the residents and council were short sighted.  IIRC the developer had offered a number of concessions (bigger fence, maybe some other things) in order to make the restaurant more palatable (ha) for the residents, as they now had to spend money on the OMB appeal, I'm not sure they'd be willing to do these things anymore.  In the act of spending our tax dollars to make themselves look good, council may have even made things "worse" for the people they want to look good too.

Whether you agree with the OMB or not, it was a foreseeable result.

It's the worst type of governing, where you make choices you know are bad, but which look good.  We elect a government to make good choices for us, and hopefully, they can demonstrate that they are good as well.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, and I am not privy to all the details here, this is only what I've gleaned from reading the news, council reports and shall we say "between the lines", and this is of course all my opinion.

/rant over
danbrotherston I couldn't agree more.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »