Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Club Renaissance was off Charles across from the transit terminal where Thalmic Labs is now.

It was the location that the Club Renaisance folk moved to after leaving the space now occupied by Berlin restaurant. I believe it went out of business some months ago, although I couldn't be sure.
(01-12-2017, 09:09 PM)kidgibnick Wrote: Does anyone know what is above PizzaPizza on the corner of King (185) and Gaukel (91) across from city hall? Back in the day it was some kind of nightclub (the bank?). When I was back home visiting at Christmas, I saw a poster on the door, but couldn't tell how old/recent it was. I always thought this would be a great space, but it has almost always sat vacant... any insights here?

I believe it was a place called Opus.  Owned by the Partytown people (owners of McCabes, Bobby OBriens, Elements, etc) and I think it was just a rentable space, never an actual club.

I always thought it would be a great small club or lounge.
There's a liquor license application at the ex-Honey Bake Shop for a "21 Fir Kitchen and Bar".
New restaurant coming to uptown in the old Frenzi hair salon location near King and Willis:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I guess there's a bit of an oopsie on their twitter handle. Max length is 15 characters, so it's actually @loudawgswaterlo.
It's actually their Instagram handle Smile
Apparently they have a location in Hamilton already... as far as I can tell from the photos, their food looks mighty delicious! 
Should be a nice addition to uptown..especially if they host live music!

I do love some good bbq. I can't wait to give them a try.
I wonder if Uptown Waterloo will ever reach peak eatery? At least two service spaces have converted to restaurants/bars in recent memory. (eg Frenzi to Lou Dawgs; Blacks to Words Worth Books/ exWords Worth space to Honey Bake Shop to Fir).
Another vote of confidence for Downtown, Bingeman's plans to open a restaurant in the Tannery.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/708548...-kitchener
Not really a vote of confidence. A large, experienced operator moves into a pre-designed restaurant setup with lease takeover rates and (likely) a huge amount of costly kitchen gear included, in an up-and-coming area. It's good, but it's not any kind of vote of confidence.
I wonder if they'll go mainstream or "schmecky"?
(01-26-2017, 10:14 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Not really a vote of confidence. A large, experienced operator moves into a pre-designed restaurant setup with lease takeover rates and (likely) a huge amount of costly kitchen gear included, in an up-and-coming area. It's good, but it's not any kind of vote of confidence.
Are you serious ?  My God, I cant believe the difference in DTK now.  There is real energy, real people, amazing places to eat...  So many business's are doing new and innovative things to make DTK a cool and destination place...  I frequent business and restaurants on a regular basis.  I have seen and experienced the difference.  I talk to people in the bars and coffee shops,  everyone feels the difference.  And before you say it, "those People"  the ones who use social services,  they actually make the downtown real.. They don't harm you, they don't bother you...They are an excellent reminder of how fortunate you likely are.  Go to any real city and you will see disadvantaged people everywhere, it is part of the realities of life. 
Too many people are quick to knock DTK and I am tired of it....  I advocate for the positive things happening, which are many...  And the Bingeman family investing in DTK is a vote of confidence,  they don't spend their money frivolously....

Sorry if you misunderstood, I live, work, and play in Downtown, and enjoy it thoroughly. What I mean to say is that I hear vote of confidence and I think of it like investing. When a Venture Capitalist invests in a startup that nobody has heard of and has no revenue, it's a vote of confidence, because the success isn't easily visible to others, if at all. When someone buys Apple stock, it's not a vote of confidence to me, it's buying into an existing success story and a safe bet.

In past, Downtown was more startup, a place where investing meant you were sticking your neck out. As you said, Bingeman's doesn't spend their money frivolously, but at this stage of Downtown's renaissance, opening a restaurant there isn't a vote of confidence (based on my definition of the term), it's an acknowledgement of a very safe bet with high odds of good returns on investment.

I am confident in Downtown, but nothing of this magnitude is a vote of confidence, because nothing about that type of venture asks "are you confident a restaurant could succeed in Downtown?" Yes. Yes we are. That is well known.
(01-26-2017, 01:30 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Sorry if you misunderstood, I live, work, and play in Downtown, and enjoy it thoroughly. What I mean to say is that I hear vote of confidence and I think of it like investing. When a Venture Capitalist invests in a startup that nobody has heard of and has no revenue, it's a vote of confidence, because the success isn't easily visible to others, if at all. When someone buys Apple stock, it's not a vote of confidence to me, it's buying into an existing success story and a safe bet.

In past, Downtown was more startup, a place where investing meant you were sticking your neck out. As you said, Bingeman's doesn't spend their money frivolously, but at this stage of Downtown's renaissance, opening a restaurant there isn't a vote of confidence (based on my definition of the term), it's an acknowledgement of a very safe bet with high odds of good returns on investment.

I am confident in Downtown, but nothing of this magnitude is a vote of confidence, because nothing about that type of venture asks "are you confident a restaurant could succeed in Downtown?" Yes. Yes we are. That is well known.

Ok, sorry I jumped on that one so harsh,  I am a strong champion for our city and the great things that are happening.  So many times I have to listen to people speak negatively about our City Centre only to admit they haven't been there or supported the businesses in ions because of perceived safety issues..(mostly they fear the disadvantaged people)  While I agree it would be nice to limit Methadone clinics though....

Again, sorry, but thank you for supporting a great community that I predict will be the envy of the Region and many other cities in a number of years.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »