Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Shops at Waterloo Town Square
(11-19-2014, 11:48 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Maybe they could help finance it by selling that unsightly bell "sculpture" for scrap metal value. Or we could start a collection: donate a toonie if you want this eye-sore gone.

If we had done this for Aporia (aka the Turd) we would have had enough funds to cure cancer by now.

Sometimes the value of public art is not in being aesthetically pleasing but rather in provoking discussion. Who am I to say?

(11-19-2014, 11:56 AM)plam Wrote: Sometimes the value of public art is not in being aesthetically pleasing but rather in provoking discussion. Who am I to say?

Usually it is only bad artists who say such things.  Tongue
(11-19-2014, 11:48 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Maybe they could help finance it by selling that unsightly bell "sculpture" for scrap metal value. 

Yes but then Beertown's matching rusty facade would look out of place.

[Image: beertown.jpg]
Looks good! Seems pretty expensive though, so hopefully it gets approved.
(11-19-2014, 11:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record is reporting that the total cost of the water feature will be $1.1 million.  Construction in 2017, if approved.  I believe the City's cost reflects the cost of Evian.  Wink

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5145...-fountain/

I like the concept which will add much to make the area less concrete wall and flat surfaces. 

This project would be a much better concept for all the community if they built a wide ramp where the tiered staircase is going. Why plan for accessibility if you aren't forced to? 

Even for public projects (outside Toronto and Ottawa) accessibility is really never considered. Cheaper to build a wide, sweeping ramp than sets of landings and stairs.
There are two ramps on the other side of the square, and the incline would be too steep on the fountain side during the winter.
(11-19-2014, 11:51 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: There are two ramps on the other side of the square, and the incline would be too steep on the fountain side during the winter.

TOTAL DISAGREEMENT > Precisely my point ... " There are two ramps on the other side of the square" ... no willingness of those who plan/sell/buy to think outside the box on design and create barrier free access using universal design access for all planning. 

Universal design would easily resolve this and make the water wall accessible to all. It doesn't have to be an ugly ramp ... outside areas simply require flat pathway access that meet code ( CAN/CSA -B651-04 Pg 140  Accessible Design For The Built Environment  ). 

A long curved sweeping ramp with a future waterfall wrapped in the curve would meet code ... but as usual in Canada and Ontario persons with disabilities can go to to the other side of the plaza or use the back door. 

IMO Waterloo needs a bowling alley again. I believe Waterloo town square would be the perfect location for a bowling alley. Especially since there used to be one there before half the mall was demolished. 

I think a bowling alley would bring more people to the mall since right now the only anchor tenants are Valu-mart and Shoppers Drug Mart types of businesses that are in pretty much every plaza and mall. The only thing that defiantly attracts people from outside of the Uptown area would be the food establishments I don't know how much business the clothing stores or the other stores bring. 
It doesn't seem like as reliable as business as it used to be. Cambridge is down to two bowling alleys from four a couple of decades ago. Maybe if it were one of those higher-end alleys like the one that opened in Toronto a while back, but it's still a tough business.
Koodo mobile is opening soon across from Valumart, (where Sangsters used to be) David Findley is closing in a week, also a condo sales office is opening where heel boy used to be.
G&T Barbers have recently renovated - much brighter and more modern.
Any idea as to which condo development this will be for? I'm wondering if it's the Brick property?
(07-12-2015, 09:26 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: Koodo mobile is opening soon across from Valumart, (where Sangsters used to be) 

Open now and right next to the WIND Mobile store. 

Will they take the wind out of WIND's sales, er, sails?

Even more empty store fronts in the Shops today. I wonder what is their ultimate objective?
(09-07-2015, 09:34 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Even more empty store fronts in the Shops today. I wonder what is their ultimate objective?
There is actually less empty store fronts then there were in the past few years. Since Last fall Carl's Jr. Famosa pizzeria, Abe &Erb, Nugatt Bakery, Rogers, Koodo, and Vape for life(vapour cigarette store) have opened. And the units that stores closed or moved out in the past year are getting leased fairly quick, Alexandria's shoe store opened where Charmed flowers and gifts used to be, Koodo opened in the old Sangsters unit, Exclusive elements is opening where David Findley closed in July and Midtown lofts sales Centre is opening where Heel boy/the photo gallery used to be. I agree there is still too many vacant units but there heading the right direction. I think if a Dollarama Opened up in the mall there would be very little to no vacancies.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »