Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(08-05-2018, 07:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: One thing is certain though, YYZ is filling up, airlines are already looking to expand.  Our airport has advantages given it's proximity to YYZ, and especially to the train line that also serves YYZ.  Still, it will be a long way off, there are many other options that could materialize.

Well, yes and no. GTAA is certainly planning for the future, and the master plan has been updated to reach out to 2037. Now, their expectation is that in addition to the YYZ capacity expansion, the regional airports like YKF will also play a role. To wit:

Quote:Regional Collaboration. We project that 94 million passengers and close to one million tonnes of cargo will flow through Southern Ontario’s airports in 2037 – up substantially from the 49 million passengers and 470,000 tonnes of cargo we collectively accommodate today. The best way to meet this forecast increase in demand is to harness the collective resources and capabilities of all airports across the region.

In other large metropolitan areas around the world, airports coordinate to offer complementary services that benefit an entire region. For example, Los Angeles International Airport is a primary hub and international
gateway for the region it serves, while nearby Orange County Airport focuses on origin-and-destination travel (as opposed to connecting passengers) from the southern part of the region, and Van Nuys Airport accommodates general aviation.

We envision a future in which Toronto Pearson will continue to be the main hub for air connectivity in Southern Ontario – and indeed will evolve into a top-tier international airport – while accommodating less regional passenger traffic. In this scenario, other airports will offer more non-stop service to smaller centres across Southern Ontario and the U.S. Northeast, offering travellers more choice and shortening air passengers’ ground journeys.

As a step toward that vision, since our last Master Plan, Toronto Pearson and 10 other airports – Hamilton, Niagara, Windsor, downtown Toronto (Billy Bishop), London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Lake Simcoe, Oshawa, Peterborough and Kingston – have formed the Southern Ontario Airport Network. (Other airports, including Burlington and Downsview, also play a role.) Our shared goal is to provide more options and deliver superior service to air travellers, carriers, cargo shippers and aircraft owners, while collaborating on improved ground access, effective policy advocacy and the sharing of best practices.

More here:
https://torontopearson.com/uploadedFiles...037_EN.pdf

(08-05-2018, 07:18 AM)Canard Wrote: Well that makes sense, if you lived in Toronto, why would you want to drive an hour+, fighting awful 401 traffic, to fly out here?

For us here in Waterloo of course we want flights out of YKF, for the exact same reasons but in the opposite direction.

When American Airlines flew from YKF, approx. 25% of the passengers travelled from Toronto for the flight.  They chose it because the travel time was less than the wait at Customs in YYZ, and flights and parking were both cheaper.

Coke
Westjet is changing their flight departures from YKF.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/880...ck-flyers/

This is probably good news for most travelers.
Cheapest return flight I can find is $500 to Calgary.

Crazy since I can fly return from BUF to MCO for less than half that.
I found the early morning flight nice to be able to connect in Calgary to get to Vancouver with most of the day leftover. I was looking at going to San Fransisco in October and now there's an 11 hour layover... probably just gonna have to go to Pearson for that one.
(08-09-2018, 04:27 PM)Canard Wrote: Cheapest return flight I can find is $500 to Calgary.

Totally... you can fly to Mexico City round trip for $370 without layovers and with free drinks on board  Rolleyes
The utility of this airport is for flying lessons, small private flights, etc. It is nowhere near being a commercially useful airport. Kinda sad actually.

(08-09-2018, 04:27 PM)Canard Wrote: Cheapest return flight I can find is $500 to Calgary.

I am under the impression that flights in the US, specifically airport fees, are substantially more subsidized than here.

I don't know the specifics of the routes (although, the route you quote is between two much larger airports), but that usually plays a big part in the higher cost of flights in Canada.
So in theory there's a B-29 parked at YKF today:

CAF AirPower History Tour​ - Kitchener, Ontario August 13-15
I think it's there even in practice: a photo in the Record article. Smile
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/881...n-display/
Who all can be <cough> sick <cough> from work this afternoon? Maybe we can book a WRC group for a flight?
That's a bad cough, Kevin, you better take care of it! Wink
(08-09-2018, 04:19 PM)jeffster Wrote: Westjet is changing their flight departures from YKF.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/880...ck-flyers/

This is probably good news for most travelers.

I liked the early flight. I was just on a sold out flight last week and made it to Vancouver by 10:00 am. Now that you can't get anywhere but YYC or YVR same day from YKF its back to Pearson for me. I was looking forward to getting into other West coast destinations with the early flights. This airport is so frustrating.

Chris Wood, General Manager of the Region of Waterloo International Airport (YKF) was on CBC (89.1) radio this morning talking about Avia NG, terminal expansion and runway extension.  He was very hopeful that next year the airport would attract one or more airlines to serve this area.  He mentioned that talks are ongoing with Enerjet and Jetlines.  What I found most interesting is that Avia NG will be doing study about expanding the terminal and extending the runway.  

Here is a quote from Avia NG:

Quote:Avia NG and its partners were recently pre-qualified for a major airside expansion project at the Region of Waterloo International Airport (CYKF) which includes an air terminal expansion program, runway extension environmental assessment, airport zoning regulation updates and a rail feasibility study.
Rail feasibility study?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »