Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
I wonder if the increase in ULCC flights to Abbotsford will give rise to a shuttle between that airport and YVR?

Photo 
Interesting tweet from Tom Galloway today:

All aboard the hype train plane.
Billy Bishop must be Porter -- no one else would be making an announcement at Billy Bishop.  Has YKF succeeded in signing them, after 5+ years of effort?

Porter does have an order for 30 CS100 aircraft on BBD's books still, that they are unable to fly from Billy Bishop ... compare that to Canada Jetlines' total of 11 (six used 737NG and five new 737MAX).
Maybe the exclusivity deal was a pre-req for Porter to commit.
(10-09-2017, 10:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Billy Bishop must be Porter -- no one else would be making an announcement at Billy Bishop.  Has YKF succeeded in signing them, after 5+ years of effort?

Porter does have an order for 30 CS100 aircraft on BBD's books still, that they are unable to fly from Billy Bishop ... compare that to Canada Jetlines' total of 11 (six used 737NG and five new 737MAX).

Porter would be nice but it could also be FlyGTA Airlines.  That would certainly be an interesting development.
A story in the London Free Press mentions a meeting that Tom Galloway is attending today regarding YKF.

Quote:A news conference has been called for Tuesday by FlyGTA, a small airline that runs flights between Billy Bishop and Niagara District airports.

The news conference will release details of direct round-trip flights to three more cities.

(10-10-2017, 07:04 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Billy Bishop must be Porter -- no one else would be making an announcement at Billy Bishop.  Has YKF succeeded in signing them, after 5+ years of effort?

Porter would be nice but it could also be FlyGTA Airlines.  That would certainly be an interesting development.

http://www.flygta.com/flights/

Their site shows flights between KW & Toronto.
(10-10-2017, 09:22 AM)NotStan Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 07:04 AM)jgsz Wrote: Porter would be nice but it could also be FlyGTA Airlines.  That would certainly be an interesting development.

http://www.flygta.com/flights/

Their site shows flights between KW & Toronto.

They updated that page in the last hour.  

I don't know if luggage is an issue but I can certainly see people fly into YKF on a ulcc and pay a little over $100 to get to downtown Toronto in 18 minutes.   That would work for me.
Starting Monday, November 6,  there will be two flights daily to Billy Bishop airport.

Not that much more than a taxi to Pearson. But then you can take a plane from Pearson. Not quite right for a train to Montreal from Union Station.
(10-10-2017, 10:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: Starting Monday, November 6,  there will be two flights daily to Billy Bishop airport.

The 10 a.m. flight to Billy Bishop is too late in the morning. How about 8 or 9 a.m.?
(10-10-2017, 11:25 AM)kitborn Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 10:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: Starting Monday, November 6,  there will be two flights daily to Billy Bishop airport.

The 10 a.m. flight to Billy Bishop is too late in the morning. How about 8 or 9 a.m.?

9 AM would still be late for work, it would need to be 8 AM.  But there is the option of taking GO in the morning and then flying back (the last GO train is rather early).  Although the local logistics would be cumbersome given that there is no transit option to YKF.

I was hoping for Porter, oh well.  Still, two flights to YTZ per day is a good start.

I don't think anyone is taking an airplane from KW to Toronto for work, daily. I think this would be for people going to an occasional meeting - in which case, if you're important enough to fly, they're probably going to schedule the meeting around your availability.
...aaaaaand of course, the flights are only Monday-Friday. So, even if you wanted to use this for a weekend outing, you can't.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »