Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(02-06-2018, 05:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 03:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Some of the signs are permanent.  And in fact, the entire segment will be signed no parking.  CoK bylaw has stated unequivocally that they will never ticket a vehicle parked in a bike lane unless there is a no parking sign.  Why our city continually refuses to enforce the bylaws we're expected to live by is a continual source of frustration for me, and a strong incentive to ignore any laws which are inconvenient to me.

Well, they should at least be no stopping, not no parking. It’s really not OK for somebody to pull over even for a second into the bicycle lane, given that they are supposedly segregated (even though they really aren’t). Agreed about the bylaw enforcement: either enforce or repeal.

*shrugs*...I agree entirely...bylaw seems to be...at best...confused...on the issue of bike lanes.

Per communication from Waterloo City Council, the segregated bike lanes in UpTown will be completed in spring 2018, at which point parking will no longer be permitted, so expect them to continue plowing&allowing when it comes to parking in the bike lanes.
(02-07-2018, 01:41 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Per communication from Waterloo City Council, the segregated bike lanes in UpTown will be completed in spring 2018, at which point parking will no longer be permitted, so expect them to continue plowing&allowing when it comes to parking in the bike lanes.

This directly contradicts the posted signage along that stretch, which use official and permanent no parking signs.

It sure would be nice if one person *could* know where parking was actually allowed and where it was actually illegal. Perhaps some kind of sign....oh wait...

Seriously, I don't give a damn about bike lanes or anything at this point, just stop lying to people with signs.
(02-06-2018, 03:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Some of the signs are permanent.  And in fact, the entire segment will be signed no parking.  CoK bylaw has stated unequivocally that they will never ticket a vehicle parked in a bike lane unless there is a no parking sign. 

We're talking about Waterloo, not Kitchener. Do they follow the same rules? I thought that Waterloo by-law said that parking is not permitted in bike lanes, regardless of whether there are "no parking" signs.
(02-07-2018, 07:11 PM)timc Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 03:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Some of the signs are permanent.  And in fact, the entire segment will be signed no parking.  CoK bylaw has stated unequivocally that they will never ticket a vehicle parked in a bike lane unless there is a no parking sign. 

We're talking about Waterloo, not Kitchener. Do they follow the same rules? I thought that Waterloo by-law said that parking is not permitted in bike lanes, regardless of whether there are "no parking" signs.

I am not sure about Waterloo, all of the bike lanes I know of have "no parking" signed in them (except one section on Keats Way which is actually signed as "parking allowed"...and the city has not fixed it even though I reported it repeatedly).  So I am quite sure they'll keep the signs.

I'm not sure if CoW bylaw enforce, but certainly they are .... lackadaisical about it, basically, not enforcing against delivery vehicles, and not really doing so quickly enough to enforce against the continual transient parking at schools for example.

Frankly, it's frustrating, as a user I feel that I am being "humored" when I report illegal bike lane parking.
(02-07-2018, 07:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am not sure about Waterloo, all of the bike lanes I know of have "no parking" signed in them (except one section on Keats Way which is actually signed as "parking allowed"...and the city has not fixed it even though I reported it repeatedly).  So I am quite sure they'll keep the signs.

I'm not sure if CoW bylaw enforce, but certainly they are .... lackadaisical about it, basically, not enforcing against delivery vehicles, and not really doing so quickly enough to enforce against the continual transient parking at schools for example.

Frankly, it's frustrating, as a user I feel that I am being "humored" when I report illegal bike lane parking.

The bike lanes that were recently installed on Lincoln Road are signed as bike lanes, but without "no parking" signs. I've regularly seen people parking in them as well, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Am I supposed to stop my ride and call bylaw enforcement if I see this happening?

A tree falls in the forest sort of question for this season: if cars are parked on the side of the road, but the bike lane is full of snow, are they parked legally?
(02-08-2018, 11:49 AM)timc Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 07:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am not sure about Waterloo, all of the bike lanes I know of have "no parking" signed in them (except one section on Keats Way which is actually signed as "parking allowed"...and the city has not fixed it even though I reported it repeatedly).  So I am quite sure they'll keep the signs.

The bike lanes that were recently installed on Lincoln Road are signed as bike lanes, but without "no parking" signs. I've regularly seen people parking in them as well, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Am I supposed to stop my ride and call bylaw enforcement if I see this happening?

A tree falls in the forest sort of question for this season: if cars are parked on the side of the road, but the bike lane is full of snow, are they parked legally?

I always call in bike lane parking...which is why I feel "humoured", in winter though, I generally avoid bike lanes, so don't end up calling much.

Frankly, it's incredibly frustrating being a person who bikes.

(02-06-2018, 02:10 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: OK, I just read the article. If cars may be damaging the space by parking there, why haven’t they put a line of cones to mark it off as unusable? This is just irresponsible on the part of the City, never mind the whole issue of bicycles vs. cars, double standard, and all that sort of discussion.

Charge the BIA for any restoration work.
Related to the conversation about sidewalk clearing and tax increases, I'd greatly enjoy it if the average cost to taxpayers for repairing the damage from allowing cars to park there over the winter were to be published.
Plus the cost to plow these parking 'spaces'
(02-09-2018, 03:02 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Related to the conversation about sidewalk clearing and tax increases, I'd greatly enjoy it if the average cost to taxpayers for repairing the damage from allowing cars to park there over the winter were to be published.

That would be good to know. Does anybody understand what sort of damage we’re talking about? I understand the surface is packed sand, so that won’t be hurt. I’m assuming the problem is that the foundation layers aren’t designed for vehicular traffic, and damage might result there?
Indeed; one of the reasons studies are now showing it is *cheaper* to do roadways with car and segregated lanes compared to car and painted bike lanes is because any lane a car might go on needs to be able to withstand the cars. It would be a *very* problematic issue if these cycle tracks were to be seriously damaged because the wishes of those with non-technical backgrounds.
(02-12-2018, 11:46 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Indeed; one of the reasons studies are now showing it is *cheaper* to do roadways with car and segregated lanes compared to car and painted bike lanes is because any lane a car might go on needs to be able to withstand the cars. It would be a *very* problematic issue if these cycle tracks were to be seriously damaged because the wishes of those with non-technical backgrounds.

To be honest, these bike lanes, and even every sidewalk in downtown and uptown needs to withstand cars, given that delivery vehicles, work trucks, and misc. illegal parkers ROUTINELY drive on them.

Of course, whether they do or not, I have no idea, there are multiple shattered sidewalks in my neighbourhood from overweight vehicles parking on them.

I was thinking today that it is actually pretty impressive how many more cyclists I feel like I see, especially through the winter, compared to even 5 years ago despite the fact that the infrastructure is so spotty. It tells me there is much pent of demand and growth will be even for infrastructure gets installed/upgraded/finished.

But, I really we wish we had more of a complete grid of separated cycle-ways to allow for more options though.

Consider that, excluding the permanent closure between Park and Caroline, this will be the 4th or 5th year in a row, with more to come, that the main spine in our disjointed network, the IHT/Laurel trail, will be severed in at least one section.

2019 = IHT next phase upgrades to north and south sections + John St/Strange St water main project (IHT John to Glasgow)
2018 = IHT closed Queen to Gage (IHT central section upgrades)
2017 = IHT closed Gage to Glasgow (Catalyst 137) + Laurel trail closed through Waterloo Park (central promenade)
2016 = IHT closed Gage to Cherry (Trio on Belmont) + MUT along Caroline (Ion) + Laurel trail through Seagram to Bearinger (Ion)
2015 = IHT closed Union to John (IHT upgrade) + MUT along Caroline (Ion) + Laurel trail through Seagram to Bearinger (Ion)
2014 = ?

If we had a grid with more than one N-S route and more than one E-W route you would at least have a choice of detours instead of being dumped out on major roads, but we don't. The spurline has been a nice addition and isn't too much of a detour if you are going from DTK to uptown or vice versa.

I am hopeful that one day there will be a viable network, but it is hard to stay positive when the timelines are so long and drawn out. Part of wishes that they would have done the whole IHT in one year and get it over with.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(02-16-2018, 12:14 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I was thinking today that it is actually pretty impressive how many more cyclists I feel like I see, especially through the winter, compared to even 5 years ago despite the fact that the infrastructure is so spotty. It tells me there is much pent of demand and growth will be even for infrastructure gets installed/upgraded/finished.

But, I really we wish we had more of a complete grid of separated cycle-ways to allow for more options though.

Consider that, excluding the permanent closure between Park and Caroline, this will be the 4th or 5th year in a row, with more to come, that the main spine in our disjointed network, the IHT/Laurel trail, will be severed in at least one section.

2019 = IHT next phase upgrades to north and south sections + John St/Strange St water main project (IHT John to Glasgow)
2018 = IHT closed Queen to Gage (IHT central section upgrades)
2017 = IHT closed Gage to Glasgow (Catalyst 137) + Laurel trail closed through Waterloo Park (central promenade)
2016 = IHT closed Gage to Cherry (Trio on Belmont) + MUT along Caroline (Ion) + Laurel trail through Seagram to Bearinger (Ion)
2015 = IHT closed Union to John (IHT upgrade) + MUT along Caroline (Ion) + Laurel trail through Seagram to Bearinger (Ion)
2014 = ?

If we had a grid with more than one N-S route and more than one E-W route you would at least have a choice of detours instead of being dumped out on major roads, but we don't. The spurline has been a nice addition and isn't too much of a detour if you are going from DTK to uptown or vice versa.

I am hopeful that one day there will be a viable network, but it is hard to stay positive when the timelines are so long and drawn out. Part of wishes that they would have done the whole IHT in one year and get it over with.

I don't recall exactly when it was - I want to say 2013 or 2014, but at least a year before the ION construction began - Queen, Courtland and Mill were all under construction and the IHT between Queen and Ottawa was affected on occasion. All to very good end, the resurfacing of the roads and the trail makes riding through that section much better, but I guess one of the side effects of an increasing trail network is that construction season affects it as well
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »