Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
When in doubt, assume Nazis.

(06-17-2015, 03:26 PM)Markster Wrote: When in doubt, assume Nazis.

I dug thru the forum to find the original pictures as I wondered the same thing.  A swastika was the only thing close that I could think of... but that would be a major stretch.

#
#####
         #

Not offensive in my eyes....
Yay, another stone one! Slowly I'll get them all Wink
Called it!

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/568273...esemblance
(06-17-2015, 09:16 PM)Markster Wrote: Called it!

[Image: 973IggE.png]
In positive news, the Gaukel intersection work has finally been completed and is open to traffic!

[Image: 20150617_211543.jpg]
I wonder why they would open it, only to close it again later? I guess the schedules of various operations have some padding.

I think a stone facade would look better at this stop. The entrance to Victoria park is done in stone. I think it would compliment it. The colours that were chose for this stop are a bit drab any way.
It would be nice if there was some sort of colour coded progress indicator on the rideion.ca page that told you the percent complete and ahead, behind, or on schedule for each section between stations.

I think GrandLinq is required to report progress every so often back to council and their last update was in February/March so the next one can't be far off.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
This is sounding like a recent Kickstarter project I backed. Big Grin Everyone got concerned that they were behind schedule, hounded the team for constant updates - and then because they spent so much time doing the updates, the project became even further behind. Smile

It would be neat, but perhaps an easier (and more detailed/honest) approach would be to just upload the updated Gantt chart once per month to their website. It does open it up for criticism, hover, when armchair engineers (self included!) start picking apart their decisions, not knowing the full scope of what's going on behind the scenes.
(06-18-2015, 06:13 AM)Canard Wrote: I wonder why they would open it, only to close it again later? I guess the schedules of various operations have some padding.

I can only guess that it is to allow buses to turn onto Gaukel from King, and then into the terminal. 

There is so much construction going on that it makes sense to do even small mitigation for (bus) travel times whenever possible.
(06-17-2015, 09:16 PM)Markster Wrote: Called it!

Holy moly...it's half of a swastika, I guess, but I guess there are a few (maybe just one) people out there with a lot more imagination (and letter-writing energy) than I have. I can see it now, but I never would have had it not been pointed out.
(06-16-2015, 10:14 AM)timc Wrote: I can only guess that it is to allow buses to turn onto Gaukel from King, and then into the terminal. 

There is so much construction going on that it makes sense to do even small mitigation for (bus) travel times whenever possible.
GRT has chosen to avoid all the "closed" roads indefinitely, regardless of their passability.

Notice how 2 blocks of Charles, from Ontario to Benton, has been undisturbed? It is still covered under the blanket "Road closure" that was introduced in March. GRT is still running routes on detour to avoid it despite that it adds several minutes to run around the Queen-Courtland-Benton block. Even the 200, which has no stops inbetween, is running that detour.

I brought this up when I met them in person regarding the 204, and even for the 200, they wanted to maintain consistency.

They've been talking about the Victoria Park station all day on 570 News.
(06-18-2015, 01:50 PM)Canard Wrote: They've been talking about the Victoria Park station all day on 570 News.

I wonder if I called in could I get them to stop saying "swas-TIK-a"?  It's pronounced "SWAS-tik-a"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »