Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
3D Print your own snap-together desktop ion logo!  I modeled this up in SolidWorks and printed it in 3 different colours of PLA.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:880747

(06-15-2015, 03:16 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 02:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: This was around the same time that we lost "Motor" from the "Waterloo Motor Inn" ...
I always thought it should be named "Waterloo Person and Motor Inn" since it's more than just a large parking lot for motor vehicles Wink

Yes ... but motor inns and mo-tels were originally called such specifically because they did have large parking lots for motor vehicles.  Smile
(06-15-2015, 11:37 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: Expected to take an extra week to complete the ION rail crossing at Columbia Street. Seems like all areas of ION construction are behind schedule :/

Has anything been done on schedule yet? Huh
(06-16-2015, 10:14 AM)timc Wrote: Has anything been done on schedule yet? Huh
Presumably almost everything else?

Utility work is complicated business.
My street's reconstruction (Queen St S) went a month overtime.
(06-16-2015, 10:14 AM)timc Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 11:37 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: Expected to take an extra week to complete the ION rail crossing at Columbia Street. Seems like all areas of ION construction are behind schedule :/

Has anything been done on schedule yet?  Huh

There has been a large amount of rain in the recent weeks.  This could be part of the cause of the delays.  Presumably there's enough flex time built into the schedule to account for these slight snags.
(06-16-2015, 10:14 AM)timc Wrote:

Has anything been done on schedule yet?  Huh

I can't seem to find the official timeline that was posted by the Region, but the section of Caroline between William and Erb is way, WAY behind schedule.
Without seeing any official dates, I have to think that all of us thinking they're behind is just speculation. No one's raising any red flags just yet. The only thing I've seen GrandLinq openly come out and say is that they ran into some trouble at Gaukel, because they discovered a whole bunch of crap that wasn't in their drawings. Same thing happened in Cambridge at one of the aBRT stops.

(06-16-2015, 03:34 PM)Canard Wrote: Without seeing any official dates, I have to think that all of us thinking they're behind is just speculation.  No one's raising any red flags just yet.  The only thing I've seen GrandLinq openly come out and say is that they ran into some trouble at Gaukel, because they discovered a whole bunch of crap that wasn't in their drawings.  Same thing happened in Cambridge at one of the aBRT stops.

I used to live near the stretch of Caroline I mentioned and was presented with the original timeline. The work there was supposed to be complete by end of November 2014 (utility relocation) and then fire up again late in 2015 or early 2016 to construct the actual track and station. **

Here we are in June 2016 and the utility relocation is still not finished. It is way behind and presumably way over budget.

** Note this is all coming from memory so the dates may not be exact. What I can tell you is that the utility relocation should have long been completed and the work was not originally slated to continue through the winter. Which it did.
It seemed to me that work along Caroline was stalled for a very long time. Have they actually been doing work the entire time, because it seemed to me that months went by without anything happening but the road still being closed off.
Had winter not hit in full force from mid-November through mid-March (with the exception of the Christmas Eve thunderstorm), they would likely be farther along.  The ground was probably quite frozen when they started up again in March which would slow down work quite a bit, one would guess.

One of the joys of living in Canada.
They seem to be done the sewer work at William and Caroline and are now working water pipes.

There was some sort of digging going on at Willis Way this morning but it was on the other side of the street, so I couldn't get a closer look.
A few updates from Twitter and RideION.ca:

Columbia is closed at the spur crossing until June 30. (http://rideion.ca/construction-updates.html)

King Street traffic in front of GRH has been shifted to the other side of the road. (https://twitter.com/GRHospitalKW/status/...4245655552)
(06-17-2015, 08:41 AM)timio Wrote: They seem to be done the sewer work at William and Caroline and are now working water pipes.

There was some sort of digging going on at Willis Way this morning but it was on the other side of the street, so I couldn't get a closer look.

they are not done with the sewer work, it gets done in phases.
they are most likely working on one section to complete sewer- watermain and utility before they move n.
I still have quite a bit of material to deliver to this jobsite.

(06-16-2015, 11:10 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Here we are in June 2016 and the utility relocation is still not finished. It is way behind and presumably way over budget.
Wait what? How long was I asleep?  Big Grin
(06-13-2015, 12:54 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Recommended ION LRT Stop Anchor Wall Designs now posted:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...f#page=193

Concerning the Gaukel/Victoria Park stop, this says “the grey band, intending to reflect the iron horse trail, may reflect a historically controversial symbol”. Why is a grey band controversial?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »