Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-23-2015, 04:36 PM)jamincan Wrote: I like King Central. I think it's important to consider that the train station, bus station and LRT station will likely all share a name. This means that the LRT station name is not only important from the perspective of local travellers, but also regionally. Something like King-Victoria just comes across as another peripheral point on the map of the GO Network. King Central seems to carry more significance to it and feels more like an western anchor to the line instead of a remote suburban station.

You make a good point that all the locations will share the same name. Will King Central make sense for someone at Union Station? I would be concerned that I was going to King City. Not sure the last time you were at Union Station but Labyrinth would be a better name for it.

Why not just Kitchener Central seeing as it is a gateway location?

Kitchener Central or Waterloo Central would be even more preferable to me.
(05-24-2015, 01:36 PM)Drake Wrote: You make a good point that all the locations will share the same name. Will King Central make sense for someone at Union Station? I would be concerned that I was going to King City.

If you're in Toronto, it's Union Station; if not, it's Toronto - Union Station. Similarly, you certainly would need to prefix Kitchener to a name like King Central, or Central, or whatever else.

I guess Kitchener Central has some appeal as a name, but it would be pretty confusing since a lot of people would assume that it's in the middle of downtown.
Arguably it is closer to the middle of downtown than the middle of King St.
(05-24-2015, 01:36 PM)Drake Wrote: Why not just Kitchener Central seeing as it is a gateway location?
Or something even more descriptive like Kitchener Gateway or Kitchener Hub?
How about King/Victoria Transit Hub?

Big Grin
Track is going in at Bearanger right now!

Kitchener King Street would be nice. Guelph already has a Central Station, so it adds a bit of variety, plus it still differentiates the station from the proposed suburban station to be built outside downtown. I would have preferred Victoria Station, but I can understand not wanting too many Victorias on the map.
Pictures exist!

https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/...6222998528
https://twitter.com/rideIONrt/status/602634411327238145
https://twitter.com/HAL8950/status/602625838291496960

(05-22-2015, 04:21 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: In a Keanu Reeves voice:

Whoa  that just about blew my mind, dude.

Seriously, I think unexciting names is the way to go. This way I don't have to wonder where exactly the GRH hospital stop is.

Edit: I read the table backwards first time around.

I think unexciting names is the way to go too.  Make it clear what the stop is.  This will be particularly valuable for people from out of town who don't know the city as well.

I too though think King Central is a placeholder name until they name the transit hub

On a side note, I go away for the weekend and come back to 128 new posts on the site.  Crazy!
(05-23-2015, 01:23 AM)BrianT Wrote: Since Victoria is a major street, it should either be called Victoria or Victoria Central. King Central doesn't let anyone know where they are. Presumably, they already know that they are on King. If they want to keep 'King' in the name, they could call it King-Hauptbahnhof, reflecting our German heritage and the fact that it is a transit hub.

Breithauptbahnhof?

(05-24-2015, 03:32 PM)Drake Wrote: Arguably it is closer to the middle of downtown than the middle of King St.

That's true, Allen and GRH stops are much closer to the middle of King St. King Central is closer to the edges.

... and with that, I'll just take my hat and go. Remember, tip your server!
I tried to get the local media involved in the whole "first spike*" thing, but they seemed uninterested.

* - Pandrol e-Clip Big Grin
How many sets of track will be run along the Waterloo spur? 2 for Ion and 1 to replace the existing track?

2 tracks.
The westerly track, the southbound ION track, will apparently be doing dual duty, handling freight during off-hours.
When they did the track work for Bearinger, did they place both set of tracks? Also I wonder how they pave over the tracks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »