Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Someone else brought up animals wandering onto the tracks (Racoons are the only thing I can think of that wanders around there but I can't see them being a problem) and another poster pointed out people will walk down the tracks if they can do so at pedestrian exits. I don't think these are specific issues that haven't happened elsewhere and in fact I posted a link a week or two ago to a sad situation in Edmonton where people walked on to a track and got killed by an LRT in an area that wasn't fenced off. Oddly enough Transport Canada thinks that a fence might help prevent that kind of thing from happening.

We have a place were it kinda makes sense to build a fence since it harms absolutely no one, doesn't delay the train or cost a whole heck of a lot. There isn't much of a good reason not to do it, I'm sure if you take an HDR picture in the middle of summer that trail with the fence there it will still look nice.

People will still die in car crashes but we have air bags and seatbelts, but they still keep spending millions on developing sensors and technophiles are eageraly awating self-driving cars that will apparently reduce collisions. Construction workers still die on the job but they wear safety glasses and harnesses despite the fact such things used to be regarded as a sign of wussiness and people falling to their death was part of the cost of business.  I don't see why it's such a huge deal to try and mitigate some risks if it's only gonna cost us a fence and a slightly less picturesque view of the back end of Waterloo park. I'm sure if CN were building the railway today it would be fenced in for most of its length in urban areas.

You're right that we can't guard against every potential hazard but that doesn't really mean that we shouldn't try and reduce risks where we can, especially if it's only the cost of a fence.

Speaking of subways, every system in the world has to deal with suicide jumpers which sucks for the driver and it sucks for everyone else that has to ride shuttle buses while they clean up the mess and investigate. More and more places will start to build screen doors when they build systems to prevent this kind of stuff. Who cares if they can't stand

From Mayor Dave Jaworsky:

Quote:My goal was to get an understanding of this less-known situation to the citizens, as the story on the need for fencing is unfolding. The last indication was that 1.4m may be required, but the decision process is murky, as it just hasn't been reviewed in detail. Nonetheless I will view this issue from a lens of 'safety and beauty', and the Region understands my viewpoint. Other items will certainly appear during LRT construction, as this is a Design-Build with real-time decision-making sometimes necessary.
Meanwhile, in Cambridge...

Quote:Cambridge express buses could be under budget

An express bus route from Kitchener to Cambridge is expected to be under budget, politicians say, dropping the cost for the second time since the rapid transit project was approved in June 2011.

"I know what they've done with the budget," Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig said. "Not much we can do about it."

The express buses were budgeted at $83 million in 2011, then dropped to about $20 million in 2012. About $6.3 million had been spent or committed as of December 2014.

Not sure what Craig's "Not much we can do about it" comment is referring to. Isn't coming in under budget a good thing?
(04-17-2015, 11:28 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Not sure what Craig's "Not much we can do about it" comment is referring to. Isn't coming in under budget a good thing?

It is, except if you view it from a Cambridge vs KW lens - since the left over funds will go to fill in gaps in the LRT portion of the project.
Far as I'm concerned, that just means there will be more money left over for when they finally decide to expand here.
(04-18-2015, 12:50 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Far as I'm concerned, that just means there will be more money left over for when they finally decide to expand here.

I agree. The Region has already started on the project assessment for Phase 2, and as I understand it, the project will be funding-ready by 2017. So it's a question of what upper level support is available, and how soon the redevelopment and ridership show the merits of Phase 1.
I'm not sure how a "budget" can drop from $83million to $20million in one year. If I were in Cambridge, I might form the impression that I am getting much less than what I'm paying for.

LOL at Craig's response. Only he would actually do his typical "Harumph" over something coming in under-budget.
(04-18-2015, 12:50 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Far as I'm concerned, that just means there will be more money left over for when they finally decide to expand here.

I don't think there will be any "left over" money. I doubt any surplus will exist in the end because Grandlinq, political staff and politicians will find a way to need to spend it all. It may be by beautifying something like a fence, but it may also be an "unexpected" complication that requires money to rectify.

I haven't read about the disbursements if we are under budget on LRT but I suspect the region would not want to return even a dollar to the province or Ottawa.
(04-18-2015, 07:17 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not sure how a "budget" can drop from $83million to $20million in one year.  If I were in Cambridge, I might form the impression that I am getting much less than what I'm paying for.

It sounds to me like the budget was inflated to help convince the residents of Cambridge to go along with the LRT.  
$80+ Million does sound like a lot for 5 bus shelters and some road paint.
Vertical Construction at the OSMF:

Concrete ties being stored at David Johnston R&T Park, including test track section (probably to train crews on assembly techniques):

Meanwhile at Courtland & Manitou, progress on the hydro work - the lines attatching the underground connection are starting to be hung:

[Image: Jn6sQib.jpg]

Cool picture, Kevin! One of the big upshots of this project that hasn't been mentioned much will be the loss of the unsightly power line towers parallel to Fairway Road. I would think everyone who lives in this area would appreciate that!
Looks like the Mississauga LRT got full provincial funding this morning. Hopefully we'll get the same for ion Phase II!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »