Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-08-2018, 11:05 AM)Canard Wrote: Not really a big deal, lots of videos on YouTube of LRV’s just plowing through water that goes up past the top of the seats. Just a first for Toronto so everyone’s freaking out.

They will take a while to dry out, clean, inspect, and recertify for use though, which is an expense/hassle that no one ever wants.

(08-08-2018, 10:22 AM)KevinT Wrote: Hopefully our King St grade separation will never be host to scenes like these:

It will only be a matter of time, but it will happen sooner or later. That is why they have so many fail-safes, procedures, and practice so much.

You can't really build for the 1000 year flood, I guess you could, but it would get very big and expensive very quickly, so instead we only build for the 100 year flood and hope that we aren't the next Ellicott City, Maryland and get two, 1000 year storms less than two years.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-08-2018, 07:35 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 10:22 AM)KevinT Wrote: Hopefully our King St grade separation will never be host to scenes like these:

It will only be a matter of time, but it will happen sooner or later. That is why they have so many fail-safes, procedures, and practice so much.

You can't really build for the 1000 year flood, I guess you could, but it would get very big and expensive very quickly, so instead we only build for the 100 year flood and hope that we aren't the next Ellicott City, Maryland and get two, 1000 year storms less than two years.

The problem with the 100 year flood is that thanks to climate change, poorly planned levies, other environmental changes, it could easily be a 10 year flood in the time the infrastructure is intended to last.

That being said, hopefully they've gotten it right, I've not seen flooding at the King grade separation, like we saw at the Weber grade separation after it was built.

Sunset at Seagram...
(08-08-2018, 09:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 07:35 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: It will only be a matter of time, but it will happen sooner or later. That is why they have so many fail-safes, procedures, and practice so much.

The problem with the 100 year flood is that thanks to climate change, poorly planned levies, other environmental changes, it could easily be a 10 year flood in the time the infrastructure is intended to last.

That being said, hopefully they've gotten it right, I've not seen flooding at the King grade separation, like we saw at the Weber grade separation after it was built.

The one that trapped 2 of the TTC's new Flexity Outlooks was aggravated by a water main break at the same time.
(08-08-2018, 09:50 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: The one that trapped 2 of the TTC's new Flexity Outlooks was aggravated by a water main break at the same time.

The chatter on the Urban Toronto forums is that it wasn't really a water main break but rather a sewer backup, and since Old Toronto has a combined storm/sewage system the vehicles will require partial tear down and decontamination. I'd hate to be working in TTC ops right now. Sad
I heard from the grapevine that the official, internal date for ION service launch is December 15th at Fairview Park Mall.

Did your source specify a year? :-)

Kidding aside, they've said publicly for a while that mid-December is the goal and they need a target to aim for internally; so 15-Dec-2018 makes sense.

Publicly I don't expect the goal to change until after the election when it will probably slide to spring 2019 given that 15-Dec-2018 is only 87 work days away.
(08-12-2018, 04:30 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Did your source specify a year? :-)

Kidding aside, they've said publicly for a while that mid-December is the goal and they need a target to aim for internally; so 15-Dec-2018 makes sense.

Publicly I don't expect the goal to change until after the election when it will probably slide to spring 2019 given that 15-Dec-2018 is only 87 work days away.

Actually Dec 15 is 125 days away. I think you skipped a month Smile

Edit: I missed Work days...
Hmm, in my head I never pictured the opening ceremonies to be held at Fairview... it was always Waterloo Public Square, or closing off King/Victoria and having massive street party at the grade sep.

Oh well... if it’s happening in the winter I’ll already be grumpy.

I still don’t see December happening given where we’re at today.
I dunno, they have road closed, not just lane closures for this week from Union to Victoria on King St, and Victoria from King to Charles. What's up with that?, more track rework??
There's been nearly constant trackwork in Kitchener for the past month - those white Ryder rental trucks with a crew of a couple of folks at like 10 different locations per day. I'm not sure what they're up to.
(08-12-2018, 08:56 PM)Canard Wrote: Hmm, in my head I never pictured the opening ceremonies to be held at Fairview... 

In a way Fairview (or Conestoga kind of makes sense). The diehards will walk or take the bus to the opening; even in winter. Everyone else who's only a little bit curious and interested in trying Ion out will drive, especially in winter, which requires lots of surface parking which Fairview has an abundance of.

It is still a rumour at this point so no point getting bothered by it.

(08-12-2018, 10:14 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 08:56 PM)Canard Wrote: Hmm, in my head I never pictured the opening ceremonies to be held at Fairview... 

In a way Fairview (or Conestoga kind of makes sense). The diehards will walk or take the bus to the opening; even in winter. Everyone else who's only a little bit curious and interested in trying Ion out will drive, especially in winter, which requires lots of surface parking which Fairview has an abundance of.

Downtown and uptown both have lots of parking, probably more than fairway or Conestoga malls.
(08-12-2018, 10:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 10:14 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: In a way Fairview (or Conestoga kind of makes sense). The diehards will walk or take the bus to the opening; even in winter. Everyone else who's only a little bit curious and interested in trying Ion out will drive, especially in winter, which requires lots of surface parking which Fairview has an abundance of.

Downtown and uptown both have lots of parking, probably more than fairway or Conestoga malls.

That is true, the number of spots is probably similar, but the perception is that there is:
1) more parking at the malls
2) cheaper parking at the malls
3) less walking from parking involved at the malls

Probably only #2 is true, and only in some cases.

DTK: "We offer more than 3,400 off-street parking spaces in and around our city's core - and more than 300 free two-hour on-street parking spaces." or ~3,700 city owned + X private spots
FPM: "Parking Spaces 3,891"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »