Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-09-2014, 07:08 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I love how the Transit Hub render describes the Toronto-London main line as a 'spur'. Someone failed their railway terminology class there.

Not sure why it would need to be marked in this render, but that spot is the start of the Huron Park spur.

I drove down Hespeler Rd. yesterday and got a brief look of the aBRT stations. They seemed small to me, but then I realized it's only a bus that'll be using them. I'm slightly disappointed there's no true weather proofing apart from the roof and rear wall at this point. Perhaps they'll enclose them in the future.
 Mpd618 thanks for posting this, great information.
(11-09-2014, 04:34 PM)mpd618 Wrote: If anyone hasn't seen them, the drawings and renderings of each of the stations give a very good idea of what they will look like.

These are fantastic!  Thanks for posting them.
I've always assumed we'd be allowed to bring our bike on the train. Anyone confirm/refute this?
I assumed you could too. You can on Ottawa's O-Train
(11-10-2014, 09:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: I assumed you could too.  You can on Ottawa's O-Train

It seems to depend on how the transit agency feels about bikes. I'd guess "yes", based on the bike racks on GRT buses. GO Transit is bike-friendly, but VIA Rail generally isn't (must have a baggage cart on the train for you to bring your bike for an extra $20). Might not be possible during peak hours, depending on how it's set up.

Looking at the proposed Northfield Drive/85 interchange revisions, (that includes not allowing eastbound Northfield traffic to head north on 85, nor allowing westbound Northfield traffic to head south in 85), it will become a headache for drivers. It will unnecessarily push volume to the Farmer's Market exit. I wonder how discussions went between the Province (for Highway), the Region (for Northfield) and the City and Township went for dramatically changing the driving patterns around this interchange. Let's hope that the left hand spoke to the right hand which spoke to the other two hands.
I believe it's been said before that you'll be able to bring your bike on board. It is common practice on other operators with LFLRV's. Toronto's new FLEXITY Outlook LFLRV's have a vestibule specifically designed for bicycles/strollers/wheelchairs opposite doors, but those vehicles also only have doors on the right-hand side. That won't exist on our trains, which will have doors on both sides. Would be a great Twitter question; they're good at responding.
They are aware of the impacts.
The display boards show the alternate routes:
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...oards3.pdf
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...oards4.pdf

Note that at Colby and Parkside, they are suggesting a U-turn for access to the ramps on the other side.
(11-09-2014, 04:34 PM)mpd618 Wrote: If anyone hasn't seen them, the drawings and renderings of each of the stations give a very good idea of what they will look like.

Not sure how up to date all of those are; i've been told that the Willis Way station has been moved to the centre of the road as opposed to the west side of Caroline.

But thank you for posting regardless, seeing those renderings is exciting!
From the uWaterloo Daily Bulletin:
Quote:Construction work for the ION light rail transit will be taking place adjacent to campus this week, according to Plant Operations. Grubbing and construction of the LRT's access road will begin on the North Campus section of the rail line this week, with work on the South Campus beginning shortly. The access road will run alongside the lengths of the track at the North Campus and South Campus sections.
This was happening near Columbia St today.

Some pictures:

Shrubs have been removed at UW south campus:

Constructing access road at Columbia:

From Quiet Place, looking south towards Bearinger:

And from two weeks ago, utility relocation on Caroline at Willis Way:

I'm not sure if this was discussed ever on WonderfulWaterloo, but despite it being much too late to change anything in the design, it may be fun to consider.

[Fantasy proposal]

I was mulling over a thought in my head as to how to skip stopping traffic on University and Columbia every few minutes when a train passed based on the concept of the tunnelling on the Georgetown South project in Toronto.

Based on Google Earth, the West Toronto Diamond requires about 500 metres to drop below grade and return.  So based on this logic, there is enough space between R&T Park station and Columbia to make the required transition.  The south end would be trickier requiring an adjustment of grade to Seagram to cross over the line partially below grade.  It would also require Waterloo Park / Seagram station to be on a slight incline in order for the tracks to be back up at grade by the zoo in order to safely cross above Laurel Creek.

University Station would be below-grade and allow for at-grade pedestrian overpasses at each end of the station to get from one side of campus to the other.

Benefits:

Avoids stopping University and Columbia traffic
Drops train below grade through University area and even into the UWP area to allow noise to dissipate in the trench
Creates numerous opportunities for "gateway" connections between main campus at Waterloo and the East Campus via bridges and other structures to aid in pedestrian flow.

Challenges:

Closing University and Columbia for time required to trench
Cost of project increases substantially
Potential of falls into trench
Grade changes required on Seagram
Incline of station at Waterloo Park
Possible water table issues in Waterloo Park

[/Fantasy Proposal]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »