Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oktoberfest
(03-06-2019, 10:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: I wonder if given the lack of sponsorship they're scared to lose the Molson's deal.

Craftoberfest is well attended, no?  Doesn't that tell you something.

I never went to any of the beer hall events for Oktoberfest, but have been attending Craftoberfest for the last couple of years. There's a lot to like about what it offers (including supporting local craft breweries). However, I don't think it does a lot to celebrate German heritage - if that's what people are looking for. I tend to go to some of the 'heritage events' during the day, and only go to Craftoberfest in the evening myself.

Craftoberfest could address that by encouraging brewers to focus their offerings on beers inspired by German beer-making traditions. Bonus - a lovely break from over hopped ales! Smile
But if we're focusing on German heritage, is Molson Canadian the beer of choice? hah
Is Oktoberfest in Germany a celebration of German culture?  I don't think it is.  It seems to be the German version of the many harvest festivals throughout the world.  In Germany they also have Erntedankfest (Harvest Thanksgiving).  Thanksgiving is the Canadian and American version of the harvest festival.  Perhaps we can work with that in mind.  However, the German community of Waterloo Region started the Oktoberfest we know today and it would be unwise to take it away from them.  If I'm not mistaken, the German clubs have been celebrating Oktoberfest in their own clubs since forever and they wanted to share their culture by making it the festival we know today.
In Munich, more a manifestation of the culture, no?

I don’t think the German/Bavarian celebration aspect of the local event is a problem for people, is it?  The idea, surely is not to forget the roots, but rather to continue to acknowledge them while continuing to evolve.  I’ve sometimes wondered, for example, whether Oktoberfest couldn’t be an opportunity to resurrect the sangerfest tradition of the past, in a contemporary format  and, one assumes, with music in English.
(03-06-2019, 10:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: I wonder if given the lack of sponsorship they're scared to lose the Molson's deal.

Craftoberfest is well attended, no?  Doesn't that tell you something.

I'm sure the financials are an important consideration. There may be alternate arrangements possible but it's certainly a big risk to give up on a major contract like that.

Craftoberfest is well-attended, but far, far smaller than Oktoberfest itself. Would 50x as many people be interested in Craftoberfest in its current format? But taking the best parts of Oktoberfest and Craftoberfest, and stealing some good ideas from other Oktoberfest celebrations (both in Munich and globally) there should be a solution out there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »