Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming in Waterloo Region
Filming in Waterloo Region

Over the years Waterloo Region has been used for the filming of a variety of films and TV shows.

Handmaid’s Tale returns to film in downtown Cambridge

Quote:Filming for the popular series "The Handmaid's Tale" took over the streets in downtown Galt's Queen's Square again Tuesday morning, with the show's signature red coat costumes featured prominently on the set.

Much of the downtown core was closed to traffic and pedestrians for the start of filming Tuesday morning and many Main Street and Queen's Square stores were closed to the public. In fact, the exterior of some shops, including the Grand Café, were completely transformed to help create a war-zone-like atmosphere. Stores closed for filming receive compensation for the closure.

Great seeing Waterloo Region used as filming locations.

Does anyone know what kind of economic impact this typically has?
Handmaid's Tale is perhaps the most notable production, but not the only one to film here. Murdoch Mysteries has repeatedly filmed here, and various other Toronto-based productions have come out here to use unique locations.
There was something in the paper the other day about several things being filmed in Galt at the moment.
There have been a number of shows filmed in Cambridge over the years including one called "Terrific Trucks Save Christmas" (nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award). Interestingly, you can see the Terrific Trucks on Google Maps parked at Queens Square in Galt:

I still think it's awesome that Kitchener City Hall was on at least 2 TV Series, Heroes Reborn and Dan For Mayor.
(12-03-2018, 12:21 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I still think it's awesome that  Kitchener City Hall was on at least 2 TV Series, Heroes Reborn and Dan For Mayor.

I think it was also used for fiming scenes of a sci-fi movie a few years back, iirc.

(12-03-2018, 05:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 12:21 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I still think it's awesome that  Kitchener City Hall was on at least 2 TV Series, Heroes Reborn and Dan For Mayor.

I think it was also used for fiming scenes of a sci-fi movie a few years back, iirc.

Defective?
I think that was it.
John Q had some scenes shot in Cambridge.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/film...-1.3935403
(12-03-2018, 09:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 05:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think it was also used for fiming scenes of a sci-fi movie a few years back, iirc.

Defective?

Twelve Monkey's (TV Series) did filming there too.... blew out all the ground floor windows of Williams. [Windows removed and replaced with movie glass, blown out a few times if I remember, and the original windows returned]

Coke
The City of Cambridge has lots of info about television, movie, and commercial shoots on its website.  The interactive map is cool, and one can sign up to be notified of up coming projects.

Filming in Cambridge

Interactive Map
I guess Cambridge as compared to the rest of the Region has the advantage of a variety of built-up urban fabrics plus being just that much closer to Toronto.

(02-09-2019, 12:29 AM)nms Wrote: I guess Cambridge as compared to the rest of the Region has the advantage of a variety of built-up urban fabrics plus being just that much closer to Toronto.
Cambridge is nominated for an industry award for best film office, the first Canadian city to be named. https://www.cambridge.ca/Modules/News/in...b5763250f6
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »