Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(10-09-2018, 05:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 03:08 PM)KevinT Wrote: It took me a minute to figure out what you meant, my first reaction was "but it already goes to Conestoga Mall" but then I realized you were referring to Conestoga College where it would save me a transfer to the 16/116.

Now will that be faster or slower than 76 -> 10 -> ION?  It's a race!  (And ION had better win, as I wants me to be regularly riding that train.)

New Phase 2 idea: extend to Conestoga College, instead of Cambridge. They probably want it more, and how cool to have an LRT from Conestoga Mall to Conestoga College!

Not feasible with the current alignment of the line.

(10-09-2018, 03:59 PM)Canard Wrote: ...but with ion it will be:
  • Local bus to Charles Terminal
  • ion from Charles to Fairway
  • iXpress from Fairway to Pinebush
  • 67 Lovell into industrial park

Technically it will be Ion Bus from Fairway to Pinebush. The Fairway transfer is designed to be quick and easy - just walk across the platform from train to bus (or vice versa upon return).
My point still stands with regard to transfers and the future trip taking longer.
(10-09-2018, 05:53 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 05:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: New Phase 2 idea: extend to Conestoga College, instead of Cambridge. They probably want it more, and how cool to have an LRT from Conestoga Mall to Conestoga College!

Not feasible with the current alignment of the line.

I’m actually joking, but I don’t think it’s as ridiculous as it at first sounds: From Fairview, turn south and take Wabanaki to Wilson. Then down to the Waterloo Region Museum and then down Homer Watson to Conestoga College. But yeah, Cambridge should be included first.
(10-09-2018, 07:20 PM)Canard Wrote: My point still stands with regard to transfers and the future trip taking longer.

The system is very much not optimized for your commute pattern. Phase 2 might help, or maybe not.

Otherwise it's car/bicycle for you. Or change the commute. Smile
(10-09-2018, 08:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Otherwise it's car/bicycle for you. Or change the commute. Smile

Car is 13 minutes with no traffic and bike is ~70 (blissful!) minutes. You're absolutely right it's not optimized for moving between Central Kitchener and the Northeast end of Cambridge. Phase 2 would be very helpful, I think, because I'd be far more inclined to do the ~5 minute ride to the Charles St. Terminal, take the LRT all the way to Pinebush, then do the last ~10 minutes to my office by bike again. That would be perfect!

I tried the Bike + Bus thing a few times (so it was just one bus, the express from Charles to Pinebush), but that was awful because there weren't enough spaces on the racks, and I had to keep waiting for busses. The one time I did it, it took me over 2 hours to get home, because I couldn't get on a series of busses one after another.

By change the commute, I assume you mean physically move, since we've already exhausted all mode options? That is not realistic.
Yes, changing commute would mean either moving or changing jobs. Not knowing anything about your situation, that wasn't really a serious suggestion.

I’m always amazed when people suggest “just change jobs”. Like everyone works at McDonalds lol.
(10-09-2018, 05:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 03:08 PM)KevinT Wrote: It took me a minute to figure out what you meant, my first reaction was "but it already goes to Conestoga Mall" but then I realized you were referring to Conestoga College where it would save me a transfer to the 16/116.

Now will that be faster or slower than 76 -> 10 -> ION?  It's a race!  (And ION had better win, as I wants me to be regularly riding that train.)

New Phase 2 idea: extend to Conestoga College, instead of Cambridge. They probably want it more, and how cool to have an LRT from Conestoga Mall to Conestoga College!

Oh believe me, I've dreamt about variations of that.  Somehow use Balzer to connect to the old Budd Automotive / Lear Seating track to the Homer Watson & Manitou area, then center-run down Homer Watson out to the college and into Cambridge via Fountain St.  Screw Sportsworld, its a perpetually failing retail area...
Curbs are in for the Fairway park-and-ride.

[Image: or3ri4z.jpg]
(10-13-2018, 06:45 PM)KevinL Wrote: Curbs are in for the Fairway park-and-ride.

Any sign of the Operator building being built?, or did they change plans and using the one close to the mall?  Thank you.
(10-13-2018, 11:00 PM)Square Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 06:45 PM)KevinL Wrote: Curbs are in for the Fairway park-and-ride.

Any sign of the Operator building being built?, or did they change plans and using the one close to the mall?  Thank you.

There's a deeper pit behind that mound of dirt that is laid out for a driver facility
Starting Monday, bus stops serving ION stations will use the name of the station. Curiously, this also includes Sunrise and the Boardwalk, despite them not having Ion service.

Full details: http://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/bus-...anges.aspx

(10-17-2018, 01:06 PM)KevinL Wrote: Starting Monday, bus stops serving ION stations will use the name of the station. Curiously,  this also includes Sunrise and the Boardwalk, despite them not having Ion service.

Full details: http://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/bus-...anges.aspx

it's for consistency
It is still a landmark, and it reduces cognitive load on the passengers when ION does launch. Better to get used to the name now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »